Sony Trying to Spruce Up Clié
When Sony released the Clié back in September, they marketed it as an entertainment device. However, according to Cnet, sales of the device in both the U.S. and Japan have slumped in the last couple of months and Sony is looking for ways to make the handheld more attactive. "We'd like to introduce features that Palm and Handspring may find hard to install," said Shinsaku Inada, a Sony general manager in charge of the device. "We'll play real games next year after practicing this year."
Sony is currently considering adding Bluetooth functionality and MP3 playback to the Clié. Bluetooth will allow the Clié to connect wirelessly to mobile phones. Sales of Internet ready mobile phones have cut deeply into sales of the handheld in Japan.
They have also had complaints about the Clié's LCD screen and are considering upgrading it. "We don't think we should keep on using the current LCD screen forever," said Inada.
Sony is also planning to introduce the color version of the Clié in the U.S. sometime in 2001, though an exact date hasn't been revealed yet. Back in November, though, a Sony representative hinted that the color version of Sony's handheld would be released at the Consumer Electronics Show, January 6-9 in Las Vegas. They also will release both versions in Europe sometime next year.
Article Comments(5 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah