Rumor: What Is the PEG-C20?
Amazon now has a listing for a Sony PEG-C20, with no other details available. The price listed is $270. The "PEG" indicates this will be a Sony handheld but there currently isn't a "C" series.
Update: Several readers have pointed out that the C20 has been listed on Amazon's site for several months, so this might simply be an error.
Sony is rumored to be planning to release a new handheld soon. However, until now speculation has centered around a new member of the T series. The C20 could be the first member of a new series of handhelds from the company.
Currently, Sony has the S series at the low end of the market and the T and NR series at the high end. It's possible that Sony is gong to begin to offer a C series, which will cover the mid-range. At $270, the C20 would be comparable to Palm's m130 and Handspring's rumored Treo 90, as long as the C20 has a color screen.
At this point, almost nothing is known about the C20. However, Amazon does list a couple of compatible accessories, one of which is a portable keyboard for the S series. Unless this is a mistake by Amazon, this is a hint that the C20 might use the same HotSync connector as the S series, rather than the newer one from the T series.
The mid-range of the handheld market has never been one Sony pursued very hard. Its last mid-range model was the T400 series, which wasn't well received due to its dim, monochrome screen. Sony dropped the T415 only a few months after its introduction.
Thanks to the many, many people who sent in tips on this while I was at dinner tonight. -Ed
Article Comments(18 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith