Yahoo Builds New Mobile Portal
Yahoo! has announced the debut of a new suite of search services for mobile users at the CTIA conference. This new search offering enables mobile consumers to search for local information, images and Web resources on mobile devices.
Yahoo! Search has created a new mobile Web search experience for consumers, on multiple devices and across multiple networks, that is easy to use, and presented in a full-color, graphical way. Yahoo! Search now brings relevant, comprehensive and useful information to the mobile environment for consumers on the go. Users can get started using the service on a data-enabled mobile device by going to Yahoo!’s Mobile Internet site or simply typing in mobile.yahoo.com. For more information on carrier and device availability from the desktop go to mobile.yahoo.com.
Key features of the new mobile search include:
- Local information about businesses across the country – from the Web’s the No. 1 destination for people looking for local information online
- Everything from restaurants to dry cleaners – including business name, address, phone number and a full-color map with driving directions.
- Access to saved and recently used locations from desktop and ability to directly place a call from the search results page
- Professional and community generated ratings
- Image Serch: Search for and view thumbnails of more than one billion images
- Web search: Access to relevant and comprehensive search results powered by Yahoo! Search Technology (available only on html capable mobile devices)
- “Search Shortcuts” that enable quick access to information, including weather, stock quotes, sport scores, flight information and more. For example, consumers can search for the latest score on a baseball game by typing in a team name and the word score, and the first result will be an updated score of the current game along with the time left in the game.
Through Yahoo! Mobile, Yahoo! focuses on extending key Yahoo! services beyond the desktop, providing an integrated PC-to-Mobile experience and making the most of the mobile environment. As the number of mobile consumers continues to grow rapidly, Yahoo! Mobile has rolled out mobile extensions of key services in the past year such as Yahoo! Messenger and Yahoo! Photos, across multiple carriers.
“The launch of Yahoo! Search for mobile is a crucial step in providing consumers with a new and powerful point of access to our search products,” said Dan Rosensweig, chief operating officer for Yahoo! Inc. “With the launch of Yahoo! Search for mobile devices, we’ve taken our expertise in providing mobile Internet services and our Yahoo! Search Technology, and combined that with our understanding of consumer’s wants and needs. We are empowering consumers to get what they want, how they want it, when they want it and where they want it.”
Article Comments(7 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- I got one -Tuckermaclain
- I got one -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Don't we have this already? -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -richf
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dmitrygr
- Palm phone on HDblog -palmato
- Palm PVG100 -hgoldner
- RE: Like Deja Vu -PacManFoo