AT&T Tweaking EDGE Network for iPhone; Treo to Benefit
Gizmodo has just posted about some news that might offer a nice but unexpected throughput boost for GSM Treo users in the USA. While nowhere near as monumental as the previous announcement by Ericsson about EDGE Evolution, Gizmodo's reports states that AT&T has ordered an immediate fine-tuning of the existing EDGE network in advance of the Apple iPhone launch on June 29th.
Under the internal moniker of operation "Fine Tune", the effort is a last-minute measure designed to tweak the existing GSM EDGE network backend as much as possible with a minimum of 80kbps as the new baseline benchmark. Naturally, users of non-iPhone devices such as Treos can only stand to benefit from such a development.
While these sorts of incremental boosts might be scoffed at as the rollout of the "true" 3G HSDPA/UMTS network continues, any improvements to the aging EDGE network infrastructure will be welcome news indeed. If AT&T is succcessful in their efforts, they could somewhat mitigate the iPhone's lack of true 3G wireless, often cited as that device's primary drawback and a point certain to be targeted by the EVDO-wielding CDMA carriers like Sprint and Verizon.
Article Comments(7 comments)
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife