MobileInfocenter

Comments on: Quickies: Microsoft, Dimmer, Churchill, New Eng

Palm Inc. will be called as a witness against Microsoft in the ongoing trial accusing the software giant of non-competetive and monopolistic practices, according to the British news site The Inquirer. Though the U.S. Department of Justice has settled its case, nine states that are still carrying on. The hearings are scheduled for March. -Ed

Energy Dimmer 1.0 allows IIIc and Prism owners to reduce the brightness their screen after a given time to save power, rather than having the whole handheld shut down. -PR

Return to Story - Permalink

Article Comments

 (34 comments)

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. PalmInfocenter is not responsible for them in any way.
Please Login or register here to add your comments.

Comments Closed Comments Closed
This article is no longer accepting new comments.

Down

Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.

I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 10:37:01 AM #
Maybe PALM should be SUED FOR BEING A MONOPOLY!

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 10:42:44 AM #
Not until Palm begins to ship with its own software: for example, if palm devices shipped with a Wordsmith Substitute, a palm web browser, an avantgo-like software, etc... then you could accuse them for eliminating from users the need to find more software. But as it is now, you buy the palm, they provide the unit plus the OS, you get the software elsewhere.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 10:43:00 AM #
It isn't illegal to have a monopoly (at least in the US). How you maintain that monopoly and/or take advantage of it is certainly subject to scrutiny though. Microsoft has been found GUILTY of monopolistic anti-competitive practices and that verdict has stood through various appeals.

Palm has been extremely open in making its OS (with source) available to licensees (sometimes to its own detriment), and treats vast 3rd party software support as a positive selling point (not as competitors to be driven out of business). There is absolutely no comparison.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 10:43:21 AM #
Having a monopoly is NOT illegal. However, it IS illegal to use a monopoly to unfairly compete against other companies. Being good at what you do isn't illegal. Underhand tricks and threats are.

There is nothing wrong with Microsoft or Palm selling more of their products than any of their competitors do. What IS wrong is when Microsoft told PC makers that they had to pay the fee to put Windows on every computer they sold, whether Windows was actually on that computer or not. If the PC maker refused, Microsoft threatened to no longer sell them Windows at all.

This isn't a cause for debate. Microsoft has been found guilty of anti-competitive practices in a U.S. court of law. All that's happening now is the decision of how much Microsoft is going to be punished. The DOJ wants to let them off easy because of all the money the Republican party gets from Microsoft. The nine state attorneys general aren't so easily bought off.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
lynuhx @ 12/18/2001 10:47:50 AM #
Actually, Palm OS devices have about 70% of the market, and Palm itself a large part of that. Handspring is also a large contributor to that slice. PocketPCs have around 20%. The remaining 10% is divided up amongst various other suppliers.

Now, all of this is moot as you can find differing numbers from just about anybody. I'm sure Bill G. could probably convince you that Windows CE and Pocket PC devices hold 99% of the market if you just gave him a few minutes.

Peace. Out...

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 10:48:48 AM #
Yes, but palm "BUNDLES" the Address App, Datebook App, Memo App, ToDo App, etc. I think that this "BUNDLING" of these Apps INTO the OS is a violation of Anti-Trust and Palm should be SUED!!! ALSO, Palm says that they have "innovated" and "enhanced" the OS by adding a "Clock" and a "Note Pad" into OS4!!! This is UNFAIR to all of the smaller companies out there who create and design Clock and Note-Pad apps for the Palm OS!!! Palm is abusing its MONOPOLY of the OS to BUNDLE their own Apps on the OS and even worse they put the ICONS on the Palms Main Screen!!! Where's David Boise when we need him???!!!!!

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 10:55:35 AM #
Yeah, cool, just sue them for monopoly, make them quit the business, and then what, we're all into PPC? Good for microsoft?! you're mad, men!

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 10:56:21 AM #
> Yes, but palm "BUNDLES" ...

Sure and Handspring, Sony and HandEra have been allowed to bundle whatever apps they want with their devices. Companies are allowed to buy Palm OS devices pre-configured with what software they want. Bundling isn't illegal. Forcing companies to bundle their software would be illegal.

One can also make the argument that Palm's "bundled" apps are minimalistic in comparison to most 3rd party apps anyhow. There really is no comparison between Microsoft's behavior and Palm's.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 11:36:11 AM #
Someone needs to do some research. When Netscape jumped on the Microsoft lawsuit, they too had 70% of the market. Look what happened to them.


RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 11:52:52 AM #
Precisely my point. Netscape once was a monopoly. In high-tech, anything can change if you are not smart. MSFT could lose their market tomorrow if they did not play smart. Business is not always nice. get over it. Go buy an APPLE iMac, use WOrdPerfect, Corel, Lotus, RealPlayer, Palm, Playstation, etc etc etc yada yada yada and SHUT UP ABOUt MSFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 1:00:44 PM #
Re: "SHUT UP ABOUt MSFT"

Using the ticker symbol in his post, this guy must be a share holder, that is why he is so pro-MS.


RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 1:12:53 PM #
This seems so clear to me I don't know why I'm the first person to say it: Bill Gates must have sold his soul to Satan in the mid-80s. How else can you explain how that little wormy nerd became the richest man on Earth? I'm comforted by the thought of his eternal damnation. Him and Martha Stewart, too. But Billy must have left controlling all the world's handhelds out of his contract, which explains why PPC continues to fail.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 1:13:03 PM #
> MSFT could lose their market tomorrow if they did not
> play smart.

First, someone would have to give away billions of dollars in hardware and software tomorrow for Microsoft to lose their market. Unfortunately, the main proposed resolutions to the case have Microsoft giving away hardware and software which would only result in them increasing their marketshare.

Second, Microsoft did not just play smart. They have been found guilty of anti-competitive practices resulting from their monopoly. Despite the vast amount of evidence, guilty verdicts, and verdicts being upheld on appeals, Microsoft has maintained a media blitz to delude people into believing they are not guilty of anything and that government and businesses are somehow preventing them from innovating. For that reason alone, they should be dealt the harshest punishment possible.

Comparing Microsoft and Palm in these respects is absurd to say the least.


RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
fleegle @ 12/18/2001 1:23:46 PM #
I hope a monopoly is not illegal. I have one...it's a game made by Parker Brothers. Will I be sued? I'd better get rid of it, just in case. ;-)

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 1:26:00 PM #
Like it or not, MSFT is a rich, powerful, successful company. If you don't like it, you can just go pound sand. Go buy some PALM stock.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 2:00:31 PM #
I only believe true monopolies exist when you are talking about a NATURAL-MADE RESOURCE - ie oil, electricity, coal, etc.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 2:52:10 PM #
> Like it or not, MSFT is a rich, powerful, successful company.

What does that have to do with their illegal behavior?


RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 3:31:32 PM #
Because SUCCESS means dealing with people/companies who are jealous of your success and envious of the fact that they can't compete on their own merits. See McNealy at Sun, Ellison at Oracle, Jobs at Apple, etc etc etc. They want to bring in big government at any cost to help them compete in the free marketplace.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 3:49:19 PM #
but what does that have to do with Microsoft's illegal behavior?


RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 4:02:26 PM #
> Because SUCCESS means dealing with people/companies who are jealous of your success

Whether other companies are jealous or not, Microsoft has been found GUILTY in a court of law. If this was a person instead of a company, it would be in jail. This isn't just Microsoft's competitor's opinions, it is now a legally established FACT. If you refuse to admit that, you are wrong.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 4:51:01 PM #
If the government wants to go after you for something, they can sooner or later get you for something. What you has was the powerful anti-MSFT forces all conspiring and lobbying to get the governemnt to sue MSFT. An argument could be made against the tactics of Sun, IBM, Oracle, Palm etc. which could have them wind up in court. In fact, they have all been sued and lost court cases too. Let the free market decide and for anyone that doesn't like it NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU FROM BUYING A ****TY APPLE IMAC OR CRACKY CUBE!!!!!

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 5:28:01 PM #
Laws dealing with monopolies are stacked against the government and those bringing the case. There was so much documented evidence against Microsoft, it isn't even funny. Even with the current, favorable to Microsoft, U.S. government in place, there is far too much evidence for Microsoft to squirm their way out. You act like this is some kind of conspiracy or that everyone is agaist them (that's what Microsoft wants you to believe). That is far from the truth. The laws are very much on the defendant's side, but Microsoft was SO GUILTY. Read the laws and evidence. Their guilt in these matters is indisputable, and the courts have upheld that.

> Let the free market decide and for anyone that doesn't
> like it NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU FROM BUYING ...

Sorry, wrong. There isn't a free market in the computer software industry and hasn't been for many years now. Microsoft has already driven the companies I've dealt with essentially out of business with their illegal practices. Even though Apple now has a better desktop solution to offer, Microsoft has rendered them an impractical solution to most companies and individuals with the damage they have already done to the software industry.

It is unfortunate that Microsoft has opted to use the media to delude people like you into being sympathetic to their illegal behavior. That is the main reason the courts should deal Microsoft the harshest punishment possible.


RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 6:14:54 PM #
oh yeah....you sound unbiased......NOT!

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 6:52:24 PM #
Yes, I am biased. I believe obviously guilty entities, with overwhelming evidence against them, who offer no remorse or continue to deny guilt should be penalized to the fullest extent of the law. [While I'm on that topic: Fry Mumia!] Microsoft, instead of shutting up and/or accepting what they did was illegal, televised ads and made press releases to manipulate an ignorant public after being found guilty.

I have little bias against Microsoft. Unlike many, I actually like Microsoft Office. Windows 2000 and XP are decent operating systems, though there are better solutions. Microsofts competition in the handheld market has been essentially legitimate to the best of my knowledge.

RE: Palm is guilty ...
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 10:29:41 PM #
of producing wonderful products. Handspring and Sony are co-defendants.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/19/2001 3:32:46 AM #
why can't i erase the built-in Palm apps without risking system failure?

isn't this similar to how MSFT has coupled IE to Windoze?

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
jeremyf @ 12/19/2001 9:01:49 AM #
Umm, I live in WA and the Democrats here are the biggest defenders of "MSFT", not the Republicans. (Although of course both love them.)

Also everyone go read something besides Ayn Rand.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/19/2001 9:18:43 AM #
> why can't i erase the built-in Palm apps without
> risking system failure?
>
> isn't this similar to how MSFT has coupled IE to Windoze?

No. Companies can buy devices from Palm with the installed apps customized. Other licensees like Handspring have replaced the Palm apps with built in ones of their own. Actually Palm is probably the perfect contrast to every illegal thing Microsoft has done.

RE: Palm has 90% of the handheld OS Market.
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/19/2001 6:36:26 PM #
Hey! Who's the Micro$not Winblows evangelist?

Energy Dimmer on CLIÉ's

huggy @ 12/18/2001 10:56:34 AM #
It says it works with CLIÉ's... well, it crashed mine, i reseted, it crashed again, I reseted, it crashed, I reseted, I deleted, that's all.

-------------- huggy ---------------
RE: Energy Dimmer on CLIÉ's
SilliconMan @ 12/18/2001 12:24:24 PM #
In Beta testing there were no problems on a Clie 610C.

Palming away.....
RE: Energy Dimmer on CLIÉ's
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 12:25:06 PM #
Why the hell would you use that hack if you could have dimmed the Clie using the brightness function?

RE: Energy Dimmer on CLIÉ's
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 1:25:10 PM #
> Why the hell would you use that hack if you could have dimmed the Clie using the brightness function?

Why have an Auto-Off function if you also have an Off button? This app dims the screen after a set time of inactivity. This saves power if you aren't using it without forcing you to turn it back on all time. And you don't have to keep manually changing the brightness level.

RE: Energy Dimmer on CLIÉ's
I.M. Anonymous @ 12/18/2001 2:35:12 PM #
If Energy Dimmer crashes right away when you enable it, this is probably because you are using Hackmaster. Apparently Hackmaster has a bug which shows when enabling Energy Dimmer. Using X-Master or TealMaster works fine.

I recommend to update to X-Master, as Hackmaster has other bugs as well (ever started/quit Hackmaster 17 times in a row while some hack is active? ...)

I've put a note on Energy Dimmer's homepage about this.

If the problems continue, please mail me at dimmer@dseifert.de

Top

Account

Register Register | Login Log in
user:
pass: