Comments on: Rumor: Palm m130 and m515 Revealed

Monday, March 4 seems to be the day on which Palm Inc. will launch two of its new color handhelds. Those handhelds, as has been mentioned on numerous occasions, are the Palm m130 and m515.

m130
The m130 comes with 8 MB of RAM, 4 MB of ROM, a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that lasts up to one week, Palm OS 4.1, an SD/MMC slot, Universal Palm connector, and it is fully customizable with the latest m100 series faceplates.

Return to Story - Permalink

Article Comments

(161 comments)

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. PalmInfocenter is not responsible for them in any way.
Please Login or register here to add your comments.

Comments Closed Comments Closed
This article is no longer accepting new comments.

Down

Annoyed

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 11:45:41 AM #
I feel annoyed now. When I rushed out an d got my 505 I was disappointed with the screen. Palms slogan on their web site was colour done properly. But now they've rectified it, it should have been proper in the first place.

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 12:55:12 PM #
You knew what the 505's looked like when you bought it. If you really didn't like it, why did you buy it? I can probably answer for you. Because it was the best screen available at the time. Since then better screens have been released and its time to update the 505. Which Palm is doing.

Since your PC came out, tons faster ones have been released. Why can you accept that but think Palm ripped you off?

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 1:08:16 PM #
> Because it was the best screen available at the time

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 1:11:18 PM #
I agree! I did the same when purchasing my PC. I bought a PC that I wanted that had the features I needed at the time. When I bought my PDA (Palm IIIXE), it had and did everything I needed at the time too. With the m515 coming and having the features I need now, I'll be retiring my Palm IIIXE and getting the m515. I don't understand why people bitch and moan when the bought something that will obviously be replaced with something better in the future.

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 1:40:15 PM #
I'm always confused by people who refer to the "CLIE", like "CLIE has BEST screen, not PALM." There are quite a few models in the Clie line and some of them have some really terrible screens, like the S500C and the T415. There is also the monochrome S series, who's screens are certainly not better than the m505's. You need to be more specific.

Also, the m505 was out for a few months before the N series, which is probably what you are talking about. When the m505 was released, it had the best screen available on a Palm OS device. Since then, better screens have been introduced and now its Palm's turn for an update.

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 1:42:49 PM #
Palm, or PDA, is in the rapid advancing stage,
like PC 5 years back.
It means a few months after you buy your PC, it is already way behind the best PC available already.
And it is worth probably only 50% of its original
value.

But the one you like most when you buy one ( PC then
and PDA now.), and don't look at
what is coming in a few months, unless you need to change.

ted

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 3:34:02 PM #
>> > Because it was the best screen available at the time

Uhh ?? Are you serious ? I believe that the fact is "Because it was the WORST screen available at the time". CLIE has BEST screen, not PALM. <<

You need a little historical perspective. When the Palm m505 was INTRODUCED, it was the best screen available at the time--certainly better than the Sony S500C, which flopped mightily in Japan. The IIIc and Visor Prism were already on the market and were brighter, but they couldn't be viewed outside. So the Palm had the most viewing options, even if it's brightness was less-than-desirable. Sony LATER came out with a better screen on the N series.

It's not known whether the whiner above bought his m505 before or after the N series was released. But I agree that said whiner should ****, because Palm was simply offering the best it had, NOT trying to rip him off. Just because the m505 had flaws doesn't mean Palm was keeping something better under raps, essentially soaking people for money with inferior products. Get a grip.

On a side note, some people simply will NEVER understand how and why this stuff happens, and that's why they'll never be satisfied with ANYTHING Palm does.
Consider:
1) In a capitalist economy, no company can maintain 90% dominance fairly, because the competition will invariably make gains in marketshare. People who point to minor gains by Handspring, Sony, Compaq, etc., claim it's a sign of "Palm's demise." No, it's merely a sign that capitalism works.
2) Sony is able to innovate faster than Palm mainly because Sony is a larger company, with more cash and therefore more $$$ for R&D. Some people act like Palm employees sit around with their thumbs up their a**es all day--that's simply not the case.
3) Just because Palm made mistakes during the Yankowski "fog" doesn't mean those will continue. Anyone who reads about what the company is CURRENTLY doing can tell that they're beginning, again, to move in the right direction. Sure, the m515 is probably more about fixing problems than it is about innovating, but you've got to fix your vehicle before you can drive it, don't you?
4) Amazingly, despite Palm's problems, despite (inevitably) lost market share, they are STILL #1. Why? Well, popular low-end options (m100), brand-name loyalty, etc. Is there anything wrong with brand-name loyalty? Lots of people admit that New Balance makes a better running shoe than Nike. Has New Balance overtaken Nike? No, and the fact that Sony's products are CURRENTLY better than Palm's doesn't mean Sony will overtake them. It also doesn't mean that Palm buyers are somehow stupid, retarded, misled, etc.--nobody claims Nike buyers are.

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 4:38:07 PM #
I have never been disappointed with my M505 screen - and it is a Hungarian model to boot! My guess is M515 users may not always use the high setting as to conserve the battery - I hope the low setting is as good as the M505 with the sidelight on - if it is much lower it may have limited functionality.

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 6:35:40 PM #
>..Because it was the best screen available at the time
Nope, Visor Prism definitely has better screen when M505 was released. It's brighter and adjustable.

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 7:14:11 PM #
"So to the smug Sony-loving, Palm-hating crowd: enjoy your Clie--it's a nice machine. But stop bashing Palm at every opportunity, and ESPECIALLY stop bashing people who buy Palms to satisfy your own insecurities with self-important claims of superiority. Besides, the supposed superiority of your Clie doesn't mean you're anything but what your CHARACTER shows you to be."

I'd like to comment on this, look at the M500 series USB fix and the Clie stylus fix thread. did any those so called Sony-loving Palm hating people jump on Palm device becuase it might fry your motherboard when you sync? No. but when I look at the Spony styli fix thread, it's only posted for less than 24 hours there's already comments about those sony engineers

"Another case of user ingenuity making up for Sony's incompetence.

If their engineers spent as much time on their products as they do posting messages to websites like these, maybe CLIE users would not have to deal with issues like this."

I don't know if he's one of those sony haters, and palm lovers but that sure is annoying.

So who's bashing who whenever they got the chance now??

Ia3n @ 2/28/2002 7:21:17 PM #
The m505 was not by any means the best screen at the time. The Prism was definitely better, though thicker. The m505 may have been a good unit but the screen was never one of its advantages. The Sony N-Series came out very soon afterwards, especially if you count the release in Japan. They are much brighter and have four times the resolution. The fact is, Palm was trying to save money or battery life, or for some other reason, decided to use a low quality screen. It was NOT the best available. The higher quality of the N-Series screen can't be attributed to only advancement over time because the new Palms still haven't matched the Clie's resolution and it has been several months since then.
And to whoever said it's stupid to say that Clies are better than Palms because there are several kinds of Clies... well, there are several kinds of both.
My intent here isn't to bash Palm in general, just on the m505's screen. That was BAD. The current improvement is more of just because they have their act together than an increase in technology.

-Ia3n
Director, Ministry of Truth
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 7:30:57 PM #
the m505 was not as good as the Prism or IIIc screen but it was more useable in ANY lighting condition because both of the other screens of course are useless in sun. what made users so mad when the m505 came out was that they were expecting a reflective screen much like the "other" hot reflective screen at the time, that in the iPAQ. the iPAQ of course was tons brighter and more readable and m505 users were angry. Palm stated the reason was the smaller size and desire to preserve battery life but very quickly new models from Sony came out similar in size to the m505 that had much brighter screens. the m515 is a big improvement but I say it again... hold out if you can... this fall Palm will release a m5xx sized unit with built in bluetooth and a 320x320 screen running an ARM processor and OS 5... cost? $449.

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 8:24:00 PM #
<< So who's bashing who whenever they got the chance now?? >>

I think it's a fair statement to say that there is WAY too much bashing on ALL sides of the platform going on on this site.

Why is that so hard to understand?
And why is it necessary to try to argue what's the "best PDA?" Do people argue what the best cross-training shoe is? Best automobile? Best desktop computer? (Apple-lovers notwithstanding) Best brand of jeans? Best ice cream? Best answering machine? No! The beauty of capitalism & competition is that there are different products from different companies, and we all have a choice. If you're so small-minded that you insist on acting like a 2-year-old and attempting to elevate YOUR brand (no matter what it is) by reducing the others, my first inclination is to tell you to play on a very crowded highway, please. But in the spirit of rational discussion, I'll merely ask you to take a look at yourself in the mirror and consider just how foolish you look.

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 12:10:49 AM #
"It really doesn't matter where it started. What matters is that this is Palm INFO Center, as in INFORMATION. As in, read news, post questions/answers, and offer opinions. Unfortunately, WAY too many people who post here focus their opinions too much on the "My PDA can beat up your PDA" argument. I've seen it from proponents of ALL PalmOS devices--Palm, Sony, Handspring, even Handera. It's just plain sickening.

People, IT IS A MACHINE!!!!!!!! YOU WILL EVENTUALLY ABANDON IT FOR ANOTHER MACHINE!!!!!!! AND YOU MIGHT SWITCH BRANDS WHEN YOU DO!!!!!! WHAT'S MORE, EVEN IF YOU SWITCH, YOU'LL PROBABLY REMAIN WITH THE SAME PLATFORM!!!!!!"

I forgot to say that I have a Palm m100

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 12:14:48 AM #
Why all this fuzz about which PDA is better?
I think Palm, Handera and Sony devices are targeted on different markets;

Palm is the "mainstream" PDA which everybody recognizes as being a "Palm", well done and trusty,
for "everyday" use.

Handera, TRG and Sony make enhanced, state of the art PDAs for more demanding users or people who know how to take advantage of their especial features.

As simple as that, so dont compare oranges and apples.

LarryGarfield @ 3/1/2002 1:52:08 AM #
I agree that the different Palm OS OEMs (which now officially includes Palm, Inc.) are targeting different markets. The only place that they are in direct competition is the "prosumer" market, vis, PIC fanatics. :-)

One note, though. TRG IS HandEra, they changed their name last year. :-) The other big OEM is Handspring.

This post is ROT26 encrypted. Reading it is a violation of the DMCA

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 3:33:06 AM #
This forum, more than most, cries out for a draconian moderator.

I almost bought the 505, but will wait for the 515.

If the "rough finish" is similar to the V, then I'm fine with that.

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 4:57:43 PM #
And YOU should be the first one moderated.

looks good, sounds good

crustyedgeofinnovation @ 2/28/2002 11:50:47 AM #
i like the new notepad feature with different colors, very nice....

RE: looks good, sounds good
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 12:49:57 PM #
I agree! I can't wait to get the m515! Looks like it has everything I need in a nice little package.

RE: looks good, sounds good
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/3/2002 8:42:21 AM #
I like the following Palm PDAs for:

Sony N series: multimedia, form factor & expandability

Handspring Prism: THE Pioneer in 65K colours that got Sony interested in colour

Handspring Treo: Another pioneer in FULL-INTEGRATED communicator, hope they wld release the color version in no time

Palm V/m5xx series: Pioneers in the slim form factor

Color at last!

Dark @ 2/28/2002 11:51:05 AM #
> ... including a blue and silver faceplate and a new type of flip-lid

I think it's time Palm improve the m1xx flip lids. They loosen over time.

I wonder... Will my Kodak m100 PalmPix be able display color on the m130? Any idea guys?

_________________

http://www.Palmvenue.com - "Where Palm OS users and developers meet."

RE: Color at last!
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 12:10:16 PM #
The m130 uses the so called "universal" connector, while the m100 does not. So, I don't think your camera will fit.

RE: Color at last!
ColonelKlink @ 2/28/2002 11:01:02 PM #
Ha HA! Just finished a project today... converting my Palmpix for my m100 to my new m125 (soon to be returned for m130). Not too difficult, either, all you need is a Palm branded serial hotsync cable with UC, the camera, and a soldering iron...

I've tried beaming pictures taken on my m125 to my m505, but the palmpix program on the m505 shows a corrupted b&w image...

I expect that the viewfinder will be in black and white, but the pictures will be in color... I'll post some pictures of the camera in the forums when I get a chance!

RE: Color at last!
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 11:01:18 PM #

RE: Color at last!
Ed @ 3/1/2002 12:03:41 AM #
> So you mean to say that I could not use the Hotsync cable of the m100 with the m130???

Correct. I still think Palm should have named the m125 the m300. Fewer people would be confused about peripherals. The m125 and m130 have the same HotSync port as the m500 series, not the one from the m100 and m105.

---
News Editor

RE: Color at last!
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 7:01:57 AM #
Bravo, ColonelKlink. What a mind, to just go off and make your own connector.

And Ed. It is about time someone noticed that the M125-130 should have been called the M325-330, or maybe the M325-255.

RE: Color at last!
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/3/2002 1:34:06 AM #
I used the m130 at compusa in oregon and the m130 felt just as cheap as the rest of the m100 series. The color was bright but the screen is so small.

not enough

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 12:05:17 PM #
I really like the improved screen and memory but what about better sound or a faster CPU if all they can do is this then I will wait a bit. I don't want MP3 stereo sound on my PDA just good enough quality so I can have distinctive alarms or notifications say as an actual voice telling me what's up..
The new 66mhz cpu would be a good alternative to ARM for me and I don't see why that could not have been included. Perhaps in the Palm m530?

RE: not enough
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 12:17:38 PM #
As I understand it, these will be the last two Palm models to be introduced before the release of Palm OS 5, which is designed to support faster ARM processors and higher resolution screens. If that's what you really want, then you should probably wait.

RE: not enough... enough for me
c_blue @ 2/28/2002 12:47:44 PM #
when I get a PC, I know it will be outdated in less than a year, so I choose one that suits me at that time... when I get a PDA, I do the same thing... I will get the m515 not because is perfect for the next 5 years but because it suits my needs now and has color. maybe I'll change it next year with a ARM based PDA.

C_Blue

Don't get technology... get tools to do the job...

RE: not enough
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 1:04:45 PM #
I agree! I did the same when purchasing my PC. I bought a PC that I wanted that had the features I needed at the time. When I bought my PDA (Palm IIIXE), it had and did everything I needed at the time too. With the m515 coming and having the features I need now, I'll be retiring my Palm IIIXE and getting the m515. I don't understand why people bitch and moan when the bought something that will obvious be replaced with something better in the future.

New Palms

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 12:13:43 PM #
Too bad the M130 will still have the shrunken display. I had an M125 and sold it because the slightly smaller characters and low back lighting made it very hard to read for my 48 year old eyes. The brighter color display will probably help.

I was gonna get an M505 but caught wind of the new M515. Sounds like my patience has paid off. Brighter screen, more memeory, drawing on the colored notepad....life is very good...:-) Now to find it with a package deal, like a free leather case..

RE: New Palms
crustyedgeofinnovation @ 2/28/2002 12:44:08 PM #
i like the idea of customizable faceplates but the faceplates take up too much room...i often just take of my face plate and I find it much easier to view the screen... the faceplate covers at least a millimeter on each side...it looks pretty ugly without the plate, but i don't mind...anyway, thats my story...

RE: New Palms
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 1:49:58 PM #
That is how Palm can distinguish two market segments, I guess.
Otherwise everybody will buy the m130, and
no one will get the 515.

ted

RE: New Palms
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 2:49:22 PM #
Yeah, the m1x0 series is very feminine.
The m1x0 series is very fashionabl^ŬzSen you accessorize with new faceplates.

Color saturation

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 12:20:31 PM #
The problem with the Palm m505 is not only the brightness. The colors are a little desaturate. How about the color saturation (not brightness) on the 515? Ah?

OS4.1

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 12:26:17 PM #
So dare I mention it again - why do Palm Support keep telling me that OS4.1 offers nothing new when it clearly does (numerous bug fixes as listed previously and now the changes listed above - major changes in operating system/external memory services. It will support multiple FAT tables on SD/MMC cards and support I/O on SD) and when are they going to make it available to us poor fools who've got OS4.0 in our dark-screened m505s?

I really do like Palm products, but I do get the feeling they don't really care too much about supporting customers who've already parted with their cash!

RE: OS4.1
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 12:34:22 PM #
> why do Palm Support keep telling me that OS4.1 offers nothing new when it clearly does

Because they are evil minions of Satan who enjoy lying to people. In fact, they get a bonus what they pass the 10,000 lie mark. They also like to sit around and laugh about the lies they tell to other support trolls.

It's either that or the changes in the OS you are complaining that you don't have are on an unreleased handheld so they aren't available yet. They aren't on the version of OS 4.1 that ships on the Sony models.

You should give up complaining about the m505's screen. You knew what it looked like when you bought it. If you really didn't like it, why didn't you return it?

RE: OS4.1
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 12:44:25 PM #
COOL are they hiring any tech support now ?? You just described my dream job. :P

RE: OS4.1
jjsoh @ 2/28/2002 2:41:05 PM #
What I would like to know is if the m515 is 'virtually' the same as the m505 (obviously not including the new screen and extra memory), why can't they just allow current m505 users to download and install the lastest Palm OS?

Being able to use color in Notepad would be something cool to have. Oh yeah.. and I guess having all those BUG FIXES would be nice too. If Palm Support deems these fixes as "not important", why even make them in the first place? How can bug fixes not be important?

RE: OS4.1
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 3:28:59 PM #
Palm has generally not released an OS update until after they have released the newer devices that use that update. Yes, 4.1 was out for other Palm devices, but those devices don't need/use the bugfixes that are in this version of 4.1 (as they don't have slots). Palm will probably release the 4.1 version with these fixes for the m50x series "reasonably" soon after the m130 and m515 are out.

RE: OS4.1
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 4:52:03 PM #

RE: OS4.1
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 8:36:10 PM #
<< Uhhh the FIRST Palm OS 4.1 PDA was the Sony Clie N760C and the Sony clie N610C, and maybe the S320, I forgot.... and they DO have slots. >>

I believe the N760C was first with 4.1, followed by the T415, T615, and S360. N610C has 4.0.

But that's beside the point. I believe what this person was talking about was Palm-branded devices, since an update specifically released by Palm only works on them. Sony releases its own updates. So far, Palm has released ITS OS 4.1 for older Palms - III and V series, which have no slots.

RE: OS4.1
ColonelKlink @ 2/28/2002 11:07:12 PM #
Does this mean Palm OS 4.0 does not support SD I/O??!!

RE: OS4.1
AzureGuy @ 3/1/2002 12:50:50 AM #
I'm wondering if it is too much to hope for an update for my brand new m125.... A few bug fixes would be nice.... stop those odd crashes....

* * *
HOW TO GET BLUETOOTH ON A UNSUPPORTED HANDHELD: Take a pair of pliars, place them around the nearest available tooth, pull, paint it blue, glue it to your handheld
RE: OS4.1
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 8:12:15 AM #
> Does this mean Palm OS 4.0 does not support SD I/O??!!

That is kind of confising, since I thought the Bluetooth card works under 4.0. Still, the SD I/O spec was finalized after 4.0 came out. You would have to look at the spec and the changes in this 4.1 release to see what is added. Probably specific support for types of devices (perhaps serial/modems and other generalizable devices) defined in the SD I/O spec.

USB Problem fixed?

ptc @ 2/28/2002 1:05:38 PM #
Any idea if the m500 USB sync problem will be fixed once and for all with the m515?? I want to make damn sure I will not have this problem before I buy an m515....

_________
Paul C.

RE: USB Problem fixed?
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 1:35:17 PM #
Hopefully this is the very first article on the m515 you have read because on every single other one someone asks this same question and gets the same answer I'm about to give you: YES. One of the reasons Palm is releasing the m515 is to make damn sure the m505's USB bug is dead, dead, dead.

No Mention of the M515's Battery Life?

CrustyTheClown @ 2/28/2002 1:54:30 PM #
Hey Ed,

Any idea on what the battery life is going to be like on the M515? It's not mentioned in the article...

RE: No Mention of the M515's Battery Life?
Midknyte @ 2/28/2002 2:09:53 PM #

RE: No Mention of the M515's Battery Life?
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 2:39:32 PM #
"Palm battery lives are always as good as or better than the last version/model. I expect the same from this one..."

What makes you say that. They didn't use the most recent chip version that was available (66mhz) or a high resolution screen.

RE: No Mention of the M515's Battery Life?
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 2:54:23 PM #
The battery life is expected to be about a week of average use.. however with that said, there are always trade offs. I would expect that a brighter screen is going to cut at least somewhat into the battery life. It is using the same battery as the 505 and since it is in the same housing structure, it stands to reason it is the same size.

RE: No Mention of the M515's Battery Life?
Midknyte @ 2/28/2002 4:51:19 PM #
"What makes you say that..."

History. The M505 in every review I've read is reported/tested to have as good a battery life or better than the Vx, despite the color screen.

Battery life is a "core" feature of the Palm brand...

None of us knows yet what battery is in this puppy, but do note that battery tech has improved since the M500/505 (which used Lithium Ion). The new ones may make use of Lithium Polymer which has been developed in the mean time and yields better runtimes.

RE: No Mention of the M515's Battery Life?
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 2:05:14 AM #
bull, the m500 and m505 use lithium polomer.

RE: No Mention of the M515's Battery Life?
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 8:06:25 AM #
Who's bull? Did he post a comment?

RE: No Mention of the M515's Battery Life?
CJ @ 3/5/2002 1:55:21 PM #
I read a review that indicated the battery life of the 515 was significantly better than the 505. After 5 hours of use the 515 was at 58 percent and the 505 was down in the teens. I think the url was
www.Brighthand.com

Does ''Launch'' mean ''Available'' March 4th?

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 2:00:23 PM #
OK, great!...but does "launch" on March 4th
mean available on March 4th at the usual
Office Depot, Staples, etc?

RE: Does ''Launch'' mean ''Available'' March 4th?
Ed @ 2/28/2002 2:03:45 PM #
Yes, that's what "launch" means.

It will be available at many, but not necessarily all, the places you mentioned.

---
News Editor

RE: Does ''Launch'' mean ''Available'' March 4th?
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 2:30:39 PM #
Isn't that the meal in the middle of the day ?

RE: Does ''Launch'' mean ''Available'' March 4th?
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 2:38:49 PM #
I went to staples this afternoon and asked about the m515. The manager said they got some in this morning but have to wait for the offical launch to sell them on march 4th.

RE: Does ''Launch'' mean ''Available'' March 4th?
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 2:54:21 PM #
RE: Does ''Launch'' mean ''Available'' March 4th?
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 3:21:33 PM #
Just went to Circuit City, E86th Street, Manhattan and they are selling the M130. The price is $279.00 They had two on the shelf but did not have any M515s.

RE: Does ''Launch'' mean ''Available'' March 4th?
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 4:52:02 AM #
Will it also be launched in the UK on the 4th, or do we have to wait a bit longer this side of the pond?

RE: Does ''Launch'' mean ''Available'' March 4th?
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 3:50:49 PM #
haha go to that ebay link posted above...the seller says he takes "well concealed cash" ....does that mean i leave the money in a dark alley behind a dumpster wrapped in a brown paper bag w/ no cops around? :-)

i checked at my local staples and all they could tell me is they'll be selling a new model starting the 7th. he didnt know if it was the 130 or the 515

RE: Does ''Launch'' mean ''Available'' March 4th?
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 5:50:24 PM #
I just picked up an m515 at the CompUSA store in Framingham, MA. Other CompUSA stores did not have them in stock. They had 8 left after my purchase. It was already on display in the store. I am charging it now. The display is much brighter and seems clearer.

RE: Does ''Launch'' mean ''Available'' March 4th?
dsm363 @ 3/2/2002 2:18:29 AM #
I went to a Staples in Indianapolis, IN and the manager said he had it in stock but that it wasn't listed in the computer yet and that he couldn't sell it until Monday.

Buy or Wait?

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 1:57:59 PM #
So the dilemma is now upon us, buy what may be the peak of the current generation of Palms,
with (hopefully) most of their major bugs worked out, or wait for the much discussed next
generation, with all its promises and uncertainties. I had been strongly considering upgrading in
the next few months, but now am torn. Do I get a 515, knowing that I'll be left behind when
the new ARM chip pdas come out, or do I continue to plug along with my venerable old IIIx (it's
amazing how much smaller 4 meg is now than when I got it) and hope that the new devices
arrive (and perform) as anticipated?

RE: Buy or Wait?
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 2:18:06 PM #
If you keep up this attitude, then you'll never buy any electronic device/computer. Something NEW and Improved is ALWAYS around the corner. At some point you have to say to yourself: "Gee, I've been waiting and waiting for the next best thing to come out, in the mean time I've lost time and effort trying to make up my mind on what to buy".
This issue has always been a dilemma for the tech buyer. I say if you need it now, then just buy it. It'll last you a year or two and then you can start all over again.

RE: Buy or Wait?
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 5:26:37 PM #
Indeed, if you think like that you'll be waiting forever. If you buy, say, an m515 now you'll be having fun with it for way over a year and by the time the ARM platform has matured (all major DB apps are avalible) or taken over (no more developement of makor apps for the DBs) you can start looking around for an ARM device. I guess you don't want the first handhelds anyway, nor will they be much fun in the beginning (since development will need some time to take off).
I'd say go buy that m515 or Clie :)

Bigs

Palm OS Already Out On i705.....

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 2:53:33 PM #
I just checked my i705 and noticed that it's listing that it's running PalmOS 4.1.

Wonder if all those nice fixes listed in the article about 4.1 are in the i705 version of it?

RE: Palm OS Already Out On i705.....
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 2:59:24 PM #
Whoops.

Title should read "PalmOS 4.1 already on i705". :(

RE: Palm OS Already Out On i705.....
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 3:51:25 PM #
I would suspect that the updates are already on the i705. After the release, contact Palm and find out.

Note that the differences mentioned seem to be only MMC/SD slot related. They probably aren't necessary in the version of 4.1 that was out prior to now for the non-SD Palms.

RE: Palm OS Already Out On i705.....
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 9:02:23 PM #

Uhm, let's see:
-------------
Palm OS 4.1
The new Palm O.S. 4.1 will include some major changes in operating system/external memory services. It will support multiple FAT tables on SD/MMC cards and support I/O on SD.

It will even get a new colour version of the Notepad that will allow users to alter the background and the ink colours.
---------

YES, YOU HAVE THIS TOO, go ahead, buy an expansion card and try to ram it into your 705! It works, really, you have to open it up from the back and there is a nice little opening in the back of it. Kinda cumbersome but possible!! HIDDEN FEATURE is written in your manual! Read it!

ALso, the color is available too. Just keep trying, it is there!

After you have found it, let us know how you like it.

DUMBA**

RE: Palm OS Already Out On i705.....
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 10:22:41 PM #
> go ahead, buy an expansion card and try to ram it into your 705

What the heck are you talking about? The i705 has an SD slot.

RE: Palm OS Already Out On i705.....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 12:49:49 AM #
DOH! Hmmm... who is the dumba**? LOL!

RE: Palm OS Already Out On i705.....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 8:08:05 AM #
This is why anonymous posts should be banned from this site. That way the REAL dumba** would be identifiable.

RE: Palm OS Already Out On i705.....
jjsoh @ 3/2/2002 9:40:27 AM #
Hahahaha.. This all sounds really funny. I'm reading this thread as though I.M. is talking to him/her/itself.

Very funny. :^)

where is it

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 3:20:07 PM #
where is the first palm os model with built in bluetooth.
Is there any make with pal os that have blueT out soon?
im confused-
he who has built in blueT will smash treo-
or ?

Office Depot not carrying m130?

ColonelKlink @ 2/28/2002 3:58:18 PM #
Office Depot still has the m125 at $249. They'll "price match", but it makes me wonder whether they will carry the m130. Unless to direct sales by saying "Hey, for $30 more you get color!"...

RE: Office Depot not carrying m130?
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 12:15:41 AM #
$250!! The official price on the PalmStore is $200 for the m125.

EARLY m515???

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 4:19:12 PM #
I can't believe one of you goons out there couldn't finagle and early m515 from some mentally-occupationally-challenged Staples/Office Depot/Best Buy/Circus City Employee????!!!! Does this mean we have to all wait until 9am Monday Morning??? I'm interested in this new "rough finish" on the m515. Is this all part of the innovation??????

RE: EARLY m515???
zigzago @ 2/28/2002 4:51:37 PM #
Yes, the rough finish is useful for filing your nails or light sanding jobs around the house.

RE: EARLY m515???
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 5:26:11 PM #
The rough finish was actually Yankwoski's last idea before he left Palm. I just can't understand how they let that guy get away!

RE: EARLY m515???
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 6:17:26 PM #
Yes, the rough finish is a sign that Palm is cutting corners.

I can see it now: Oops. I have a sharp edge with my Rhinoskin. Gee. I'll use my m515's rough finish to sand down the edges.

RE: EARLY m515???
ahecht @ 2/28/2002 7:10:02 PM #
Actually, the rough finish should minimize the visibility of fingerprints and glare.

RE: EARLY m515???
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 8:42:08 PM #
ahecht:

Read the post next time. The rough finish is on the CASING, not the screen.

Unless you've been noticing a lot of GLARE from your m505 case...

RE: EARLY m515???
ColonelKlink @ 2/28/2002 11:12:12 PM #
Hey HEY!

"mentally-occupationally-challenged Staples/Office Depot/Best Buy/Circus City Employee????!!!!"

I don't go to the supermarket and make fun of how you bag groceries or deliver newspapers!

Well, touché

www.palminfocenter.com/images/img_m515_Rumor_1_L.jpg

RE: EARLY m515???
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 10:55:35 PM #
believe me i tried at the local staples... the rep said when he scans the barcode now a price of something like $10,543.00 comes up until it's 'officially' released

I would like to thank Guy Roth and Alon Landau

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 4:45:50 PM #
who contributed a lot to the article. Guy Roth, Palmi's Palm Section Editor and Alon Landau, Palmi's Webmaster and U.S. Coordinator

Thanks Guy, Thanks Alon!!!

Adam Tzeit
Palmy/i, Everything at the palm of your hand
www.palmi.co.il

RE: I would like to thank Guy Roth and Alon Landau
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 4:54:16 PM #
Well don't thank them too much because there was not much if anything new in your article that wasn't already in the last two PIC m515 stories. Your efforts are appreciated though.

Out with the old, in with the ?

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 5:52:34 PM #
Ah yes, and I just sold my m505 ......... well it looks like I'll be buying a M515

M515 on eBay right now...

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 7:05:42 PM #
Here it is:

search item # 1335790592, selling one from Hungary

RE: M515 on eBay right now...
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 7:20:08 PM #
what a coincidence - the auction ends one day after the introduction of the m515 by Palm. Looks like someone is trying to make a quick buck.

RE: M515 on eBay right now...
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 10:12:46 PM #
Don't be a fool, it's not worthy.

RE: M515 on eBay right now...
sandbuck @ 3/1/2002 7:59:03 AM #
He has no charger because he swiped it off of his employer's assembly line.

RE: M515 on eBay right now...
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 11:39:31 AM #
I agree. Something smells real bad about that deal. No charger? It could be legit, but I don't see how. The seller did agree to answer questions, although....I would just get it from a retailer.

PALM M515 SPOTTED AT COMPUSA in MICHIGAN!

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 8:02:34 PM #
I was in the COMPUSA store in Auburn Hills, Michigan. This evening and saw the PALM M515 in the flesh or the metal I should say, LOL! It looked the same as the M505 the screen is incredible, it is so much brighter then the M505. Unfortunately the screen is still 160x160 but the unit looked sharp, they had it bundled with a leather case and you apparently get two stylus. They told me that only have five so I bought one on the spot. So there are 4 more out there! They did tell me that they might not be getting more for a while they ordered 50 and only got 5! It seems are friends at PALM, Inc. are having production problems. I have not yet turned my unit on so I have not been able to play with it yet, I will report back as soon as the battery is charged. The price at COMPUSA is $449.00 but they through in an extended warranty two extra stylus and a leather case, you can upgrade to the metal on for $15.00 I did I am a too clumsy for leather.

RE: PALM M515 SPOTTED AT COMPUSA in MICHIGAN!
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 8:45:01 PM #
Interesting bit of info. What I really want is a deal that offers a free keyboard. I'm still using a Vx, and the PPK is my favorite accessory(with WordSmith being my favorite app). Plus, since it retails for $100, a free keyboard would be a better deal.

Maybe Staples will come through with that one...

RE: PALM M515 SPOTTED AT COMPUSA in MICHIGAN!
I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 9:28:13 PM #
RE: PALM M515 SPOTTED AT COMPUSA in MICHIGAN!
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 8:41:28 AM #
That's great! Can you give us a short review on your brand new m515?

RE: PALM M515 SPOTTED AT COMPUSA in MICHIGAN!
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 10:18:46 AM #
How can the online store sell it for $359 already? Do you have to wait 6 months to get it? Sounds bogus

RE: PALM M515 SPOTTED AT COMPUSA in MICHIGAN!
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 11:52:20 AM #
The web site says they'll ship on 3/6/2002. Curiously, the cradle was not listed as an included item, but that sounds very odd.

djm

SKU numbers for 515 at Office Depot or Staples? Anyone?

I.M. Anonymous @ 2/28/2002 8:57:32 PM #
Anybody know the SKU numbers at either Office Depot or
Staples for the m515?

More Baby Steos

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 6:26:15 AM #
When eill Palm stop taking these baby steps in improvements yet call them major hardware releases? Amonth ago they called the i705 a major release when it was nothing more than a repackaged VIIx and still with a crappy screen. Whats next, the i725 with the screen done right? Now its the m515 with nothing more than a brighter, but may not be better screen. I assume the m525 will be the model with high resolution.

RE: More Baby Steos
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 7:13:23 AM #
Well, my Palm m505 is nearly perfect in what I need it to be - simply, nice and reliable companion. I use it to read e-books, to store hundreds of adresses, simple notes, and all this in very esthetic form factor. Of course, it is not perfect, in fact it is very limited, especially comparing to MobileCE devices. No problem, I do not need all things that make PPC devices at the same time useless and enjoyable.
What I need from Palm is nearly here: Bluetooth connectivity to my GPRS Ericsson phone, and screen in higher resolution.
For now m515 + Bluetooth card would be enough. It means unlimited web clipping, immediate response for my personal and company emails, and all this what we (I hope :) love in Palm devices: simplicity.

RE: More Baby Steos
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 8:12:55 AM #
<< With all the new models that have come out over the years, I feel that Palm is asking users to fork out cash for devices that still do pretty much the same thing. Does Palm have any intention on releasing a true workhorse with a high res screen, wireless LAN, PAN and WAN, a fast busniess app compatiple CPU and sound, yet still keep the simplicity that made it Palm in the first place? >>

In response to this first statement, if you feel this way, then DON'T fork out the cash. One of Palm's objectives appears to be to maintain consistent appeal for first-time users--the PDA is far from saturated. Do they provide compelling features for experienced, "power" users? That's debatable--many think not. But they're certainly not FORCING you to buy their product(a la Micro$oft). There are other choices--take a look at them.

In response to the question, I would say that yes, eventually they will. But I doubt that kind of PPC-esque behemoth is NOT their top priority, mainly because at this point, it may not be feasible if you also want the battery life Palm has been noted for.

Now, a question for you: what the heck is a baby steo? Is this some type of PDA for my 7-month-old?

(That's sarcasm, but I honestly suggest you read over your post before clicking the "Post Comment" button.)

RE: More Baby Steos
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 8:18:49 AM #
A lot of folks have been bashing the m515 (before it's even on the shelves) simply because they say it's nothing more than an m505 that has had it's problems fixed.
That's an extremely smart move on Palm's part (no, I'm not a Palm employee and I don't even own a PDA - yet - I've been trying to decide and I think my first one will be the m515 - but I want to see it first). Yeah, the m505 had it's definite problems. I think Palm knows that before it can move forward with innovation, it needs to prove it has gotten it's act together and can do it (the m505) right, hence, we now have the m515.
The next step will be to come out with an "innovative" machine that works with the first release. Hopefully that will happen with the OS 5 machines.

RE: More Baby Steos
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 8:28:43 AM #
The i705 being nothing more than a repackaged VIIx?? I beg to differ. I have both and the i705 screen is simply marvellous. Very crisp and easily readable. Before you spout off about stuff you obviously have very little knowledge of, please moderate yourself.

And regarding Palm asking us to "fork out cash for devices that still do pretty much the same thing". As far as I am concerned you have absolutetly no knowledge on what is really happening out there. I don't remember my Vx having an SD slot...I don't remember my VIIx having one either! I can't recall if my Vx was color? If yo uonly just went back and began reading some of the posts when the m505 was released. You will see so many people who LOVED the m505 but would have liked to have seen a brighter screen. Well, Palm is giving you that. More memory? Palm is giving you that. All you seem to want is YOUR perfect PDA from Palm and right now. Remember that your perfect PDA may not be that of somebody else.

Why don't you just get a PPC. They have all the things you want in a PDA! Or are they too big??????

DESKTOP 4.1???

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 9:48:39 AM #
Will we see DESKTOP 4.1 with the m515?????

Already in stores?

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 11:20:36 AM #
A canadian retailer, cendirect.com has them listed for a week or so now but today, they list them stock @ 598 CDN$

Roadkill

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 11:48:05 AM #
Article found on PocketPC Thoughts http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com on 2/28/2002

==============================================
ARTICLE: Roadkill - "Is Palm the Next Netscape?" This doesn't take a fine tuned crystal ball to see where this is going. PalmOS had well over 80% market share just a few short years ago and the Palm-Sized PC was the laughingstock of the PDA world. The problem is people wrote off MS because the UI was wrong. They weren't paying any attention to what was right with the devices. Multitasking, easy to understand file system, application compatibility with desktop PC's, multimedia, color screens, etc. Next step - April 19, 2000 - Pocket PC's launch. In under 24 months, the Pocket PC market share jumped to 22% while PalmOS dropped to 57% while the rest of the market was flooded with dozens of different and non-compatible devices including many proprietary devices in China.

Please don't post the entire contents of copyrighted articles. An excerpt and a link is best. -Ed

RE: Roadkill
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 12:34:35 PM #
So what's your point except being a PPC Troll.

RE: Roadkill
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 12:35:32 PM #
This article is written from the perspective of a computer nerd - in other words, someone who goes "Oooh" and "Aaaah" over all the features PPC 2002 has. Consider the typical customer at, say, Best Buy. Some will be like this writer and opt for PPC because of "all it can do," regardless of whether or not they actually USE that capability. Some like to pretend they know about computers (we've all seen them), and for that reason or simply status, will opt for the PPC. MOST will look at the price tag and say, "Lord Almighty! That's freaking expensive!" Then they'll buy a Palm that begins with "m1."

Virtually ALL PPC buyers except for the most staunch apologists will say "D**m it, F***, Sh**," etc., when they experience a crash of their system, or ActiveSync doesn't work, or they realize they're at about 25% battery life and don't have a charger handy.

And it's also fair to say that a larger percentage of PPC owners(let's say minimum 15%) basically only use PPC to maintain contacts, keep their calendar, jot a few notes, and manage a few lists! Have you ever tried to use Pocket IE? It's maddening to attempt to "surf" the 'net on a 3" screen when you've got to constantly scroll back-and-forth to read anything! Pocket Word and Excel are STILL pretty useless--pretty much every PalmOS program for documents & spreadsheets beats them, and what's more, if you don't use this function, you don't have to have it on a Palm.

Yes, this article comes from the perspective of a computer nerd--specifically one who uses a Pocket PC, is insecure about it, and wants to justify to the world why his machine will someday be...I don't know, proof that his johnson is bigger than his pinky?

Pathetic...

RE: Roadkill
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 12:42:24 PM #
Great article.

RE: Roadkill
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 8:20:06 AM #
Nice job with the made-up statistics. I have never seen any credible source cite the Palm OS market share as low as this article has stated, nor Pocket PC's as high. If he's not lying outright, he's taking some other sort of numbers out of context. This is usually a mark of desperation on the part of an author.

RE: Roadkill
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 9:39:44 PM #
I think that you get the figures mixed up. It may true that Palm Pilot only gets 57% of the market. When you include other Palm OS devices, such as Sony and Handspring, the market share goes up to 80%. The percentage is always misleading. Comparing to last year, more people are using PDA's as well.

They're Here.....

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 4:01:08 PM #
OK Palm Fans.
The COMPUSA in Redondo Beach CA has five in stock.
The 515 on display has 16M O/S 4.1 (different ver. # than on my M505), and a three setting side-light level. It is activated by a little "sun" icon on the corner of the graffiti area next to the calculator button. On the Med level it is about the same or better as my M505, on the High setting it was comparable to the Clie 615 right next to it.

Didn't see any other features in Notepad or MemoPad as has been indicated here. To the feel, the case is as smooth as my M505, however the coloring was slightly darker gray and had more texture to it (granier?).

I didn't put my SD card into it - but I might go back later. They were charging the M130 so I wasn't able to look at it. Hope this helps. Help the American economy and consider picking one up.

RE: They're Here.....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 6:38:40 PM #
I know!! I visted my local CompUSA here in Madison Heights, Michigan. Weird, the salesperson told me they only had 5 m515s in stock too. I picked one up. The gentlemen before me was buying 2 m130s! Looks like these are going to be a hot seller!

RE: They're Here.....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 7:05:43 PM #
went by Comp USA.
The M130 is rechargeable (universal connector), as bright as the M515. Noticed a new wrinkle though -when you select menus, they quickly fade in and out, sort of like Windows does. M130 is very slick - it definitely represents the biggest incremental leap of the two.

Infosync is carrying a story on the new devices...

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 4:08:17 PM #
RE: Infosync is carrying a story on the new devices...
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 4:29:15 PM #
Is it just me or is the Infosync article just this PIC slightly paraphrased?

Excuse me, isn't it my article with minor changes?
AdamTzeit @ 3/1/2002 5:20:27 PM #
I really thought I was reading my article, it has even some same sentences inside.

Please post pictures if you have bought an m130

peter167 @ 3/1/2002 4:33:11 PM #
Yes, I am owning a m125 right now, and would like to upgrade. Canada is a bit slowly up here.

Please post pictures/reviews if you have bought an m130. Thank you very much.

******************
Lie is the future.

RE: Please post pictures if you have bought an m130
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 4:59:31 PM #
Spend a little extra and get the m515. You will always regret it if not.

RE: Please post pictures if you have bought an m130
AzureGuy @ 3/1/2002 5:58:16 PM #
I too would like a picture... People, keep in mind, the m505 up here is $650 and the m130 will be only $450. I'm also considering taking my m125 back for an m130, just for the colour and the hope OS 4.1 won't have as many probs with me as 4.01.

* * *
Got an m515!
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 5:59:00 PM #
Just picked up an m515 from CompUSA in Houston (Sugarland store). Man, the screen sucks! Just kidding. I haven't had the chance to even open the box yet. I'll report back after I get home from work and charge/sync etc. Doesn't appear to have the rough finish everyone was talking about (judging from the box).

RE: Please post pictures if you have bought an m130
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 6:32:10 PM #
I just visited my local CompUSA (Madison Heights, Michigan) store and they didn't have any m515 or m130 on display. A quick mention to the salesperson and he was on his little computer checking to see if they have any m515s in stock. I nearly fell on the floor when he told me had 5 in stock. I purchased one immediately with the extended warranty. I'm charging it now! I'm so-o-o-ooo happy. My first colored PDA! It's time to retire my faithful Palm IIIXE. Man, can't wait to play with it...come on...only 1 hour and 43 minutes left until recharged.

RE: Please post pictures if you have bought an m130
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 7:10:57 PM #
" I nearly fell on the floor when he told me had 5 in stock. I purchased one immediately with the extended warranty. I'm charging it now! I'm so-o-o-ooo happy."

you're so pathetic.

RE: Please post pictures if you have bought an m130
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 7:30:17 PM #
pathetic? You're on this PDA site too, A$$h0le. Look in the mirror, Dick.

RE: Please post pictures if you have bought an m130
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 8:04:33 PM #
Ok. It's charging, but what I can tell you is that the casing looks the same as the m505 to me. The screen on its lowest setting is brighter than the m505 and on its highest setting it is very bright. The speed seems the same. I did notice that in notepad the font was blue instead of black. There is indeed a brightness icon at the top right of the silkscreen area with three settings-off, low, and high. Looks like most of what has been reported is true.

RE: Please post pictures if you have bought an m130
peter167 @ 3/1/2002 8:36:21 PM #
No offense but I am being impatient.

M130 PICTURES, please!!! (Of course, not those simulated ones!!!)

******************
Lie is the future.

RE: Please post pictures if you have bought an m130
AdamTzeit @ 3/2/2002 3:28:53 AM #
The font is blue on default.
You can change it in Pref to something else.

Almost...

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 6:39:11 PM #

I had two in my hands at Staples. Alas, the computer rang up the price as $99999.99. The regular salespeople spent 5 minutes figuring how to override, asked the manager, who made a phone call, and then found out that he couldn't sell them until March 10.

Sigh.

Perhaps if somebody has better social engineering skills, they'll be able to get them from Staples...

RE: Almost...
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 6:48:35 PM #
I could have purchased the M515 at Compusmart in Toronto but I wasn't sure it was worth the price to upgrade from my 505, so I got them to open the box. The screen is definitely brighter, even at the low setting. The unit looked identical, to my 505, except for the new "Sun" icon on the grafiti area. I decided to wait and hear the reviews on the battery life which I was concerned would be greatly diminshed becasue of the brighter screen.

If anyone has any information or reports on battery life with the screen set to its brightest setting I am very interested.

RE: Almost...
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 8:33:59 PM #
New observation: The silkscreen icons do not appear to light up when the sidelight is on unlike the m505.

RE: Almost...
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 8:45:29 PM #
I spent some quality time at CompUSA in Memphis and got to compare the 515 to the 505 and the Sony products. I was quite impressed with the 515 except that in light of the posts regarding battery life, the display unit was hooked into a charger. This could be a bad sign.

If the battery life is ok I think that Palm can go head to head with Sony for the folks who want a lightweight, slim handheld. On the "rough" vs "smooth" issue (which IMHO is about like the beer commercial) I got a better feel and grip with the 515

RE: Almost...
Altema @ 3/1/2002 11:31:09 PM #
"the display unit was hooked into a charger. This could be a bad sign."

I don't think it's an indication of battery life, in some of the stores I frequent, almost all the display units are hooked up to their chargers. The ones that are not on a charger are dead. Keeping the device on the charger means thay can be left on to attract attention, and the staff does not have to charge them every other day.

Of course it would not matter at some Circuit City stores, they will stand there and tell a customer that Palms CANNOT do video, audio, email, or any type of web access or browsing. One store in Southfield Michigan was particularly amusing when the sales person went into the usual dialog... I was standing there with over one hundred web pages, twenty megs of video, and even default Windows wav files on my Palm, and I'd heard enough. Speaking up, I offered corrections to which the sales person became highly agitated and insulting.

What is it called when you know something is dead wrong, and you say it anyways?...
Well, I won't go there.

BOO HISS - m515 HAS NO LIT GRAFFITI AREA

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 9:15:36 PM #
I just picked up the m515 today at CompUSA in Framingham, MA. They now have 8 units left. I got it home, charged it. It is a darker gray than the 505 and seems to have a grainier feel. It is quite bright, the colors are much more distinct and vibrant. I am thinking this is great. Restored from my backup buddy and was all set. Then I'm looking at the graffiti area. IT IS NOT LIT UP. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. I am so used to the lit graffiti area on the 505. I am so bummed out by this that I will be returning it. I cant think this unit is defective. Palm support (as usual) was no help. they didnt even know the m515 was coming out. This has me so bummed out.

RE: BOO HISS - m515 HAS NO LIT GRAFFITI AREA
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/1/2002 10:38:39 PM #
I bought the m515 at CompUSA in Concord, CA this evening. They have it on display next to the m505 and the screen brightness is much better. I have my unit on charge now. I never bought the m505 when it launched because of the poor screen. If you waited like me go out and buy the m515 now. They had 5 or 6 in stock for $399. The m505 was also selling for $399. Go figure!!

RE: BOO HISS - m515 HAS NO LIT GRAFFITI AREA
Altema @ 3/1/2002 11:55:26 PM #
Great, and we are supposed to hit that tiny clock icon in the dark? Glad there's Clock Pop. Oh well, from an engineering standpoint it makes sense, the light would be more effective if it was closer the the screen instead of at the bottom of the graffiti area. Too bad... that was one of the things I loved about the 505.

RE: BOO HISS - m515 HAS NO LIT GRAFFITI AREA
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 12:40:49 AM #
Yep. I'll miss the lighted grafitti area too, but it's a decent trade off. I'd rather have the brighter screen.

I got m515 at CompUSA in San Diego

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 12:53:33 AM #
OK, the Kearny Mesa CompUSA in San Diego had 12
m515s. (858)560-4300. I bought the first one.
Initial impressions:
1. The screen has 3 basic settings, off, low, high.
The screen is much clearer (not the milky cloudy
like on my m505.
2. The colors are much more vibrant...somewhere in
between the vibrance of the Palm IIIc and the 505.
3. 16 megs is really nice.
4. Outer casing is slightly darker than the 505
but not by much.

I do not see the "color" options in the built-in NotePad application that I had heard about. It looks the same to me as the m505 version.

Definitely PalmOS 4.1 though.

So far, my apps seem to be working OK.

RE: I got m515 at CompUSA in San Diego
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 1:07:36 AM #
I forgot to mention:
My PPK is not working. When I plug-in the 515 it
attempts a hotsync from the connection. I am using
version 1.6 of the keyboard driver. Any new drivers
or ideas?

RE: I got m515 at CompUSA in San Diego
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 2:28:31 AM #
Thanks for the summary. By clearer screen, are you talking about the background? I noticed the m505 had a very pixelated background and was wondering if this is more transparent than that.

COMPUSA is the m515 Winner.

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 2:33:17 AM #
Last year it was Office Depot who was first for m505. Luck of the draw?

Bluetooth?

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 5:46:54 AM #
Some rumors on PIC said that bluetooth would be built-in with 515. Can't find anything about it anywhere.

Someone of you 515 owners care to clear this up? :)

Anywayz the only reason I would ever buy a 515 is if it has built-in bluetooth.

I am very happy with my 505 and with the screen that come's with it. People need to realize that palm had to make compremise between screen quality and batterylife + thickness. Don't believe the screen on the 515 is much better.

How do you get data from old desktop and pda to new 515?

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 7:02:51 AM #
I'm a IIIxe user and will probably upgrade to the 515. I have a few questions and since I've never upgraded, don't know how there handled. I figured sooner then driving myself nuts until I get the unit, I would ask. I figured there's probably many of you that have upgraded and know how this is handled. Will my current Palm desktop software get updated? Is it just an update or do I load a new program and erase the old one? Is there sometype of prompt that asks do I want to transfer info to a new device, how is the transfer of data to the new unit handled? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

RE: How do you get data from old desktop and pda to new 515?
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 7:40:55 AM #
Just do one last sync on your IIIxe and then load your 515 Palm Desktop. Then do a sync with your 515 and magically your info will be on your 515. You can still sync both Palms BUT you need to have different names on each. I would just give away your IIIxe to a relative or friend. BTW - do a hard reset with pin and holding down power button before you give it away to clear all of your data. You don't want your little sister to see all the strip clubs, etc. addresses in your Palm and think you're a freak now do you??

Prism vs. Palm 515

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 10:14:25 AM #
For those who have seen the 515, is it brighter than a Prism?

Also, If you switch from a handspring to a palm, how do you handle the software switch? Can you just transfer the handspring data to the palm? Thanks

Palm owners ....

I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 10:47:03 AM #
Before I say my two cents, let me help you understand where I am coming from. I have owend every Palm AND Pocket pc since Palm Pro and Philips Nino. I am constantly reading Palm AND PocketPC boards on the major sites. I ALWAYS purchase the latest Palm AND Pocket PC to try out. That said; Lets be HONEST w/ eachother. Palm has released NOTHING new since OS 3.5. How can you possibly get excited about the MINOR enhancement and BUG Fixes in OS 4.1. How can you possibly get excited about "enhanced" color screen. which is STILL low res. I even saw that someone mentiond that Battery Life is Palms KEY. Come on. That is *NOT* an issue w/ the newest PocketPCs. If you have EVER owned one and used one you would understnad that. Every discussion board for Palm is nothing but "should I wait...", "nothing new", "slow and steady"... Its been that way since the M500. its NOT changed. The discussion boards for PocketPC are people Actually using them. Grow up boys and girls. Do yourself a favor. try a *real* os for once. I warn you though. You may not go back.

RE: Palm owners ....
peter167 @ 3/2/2002 11:04:05 AM #
Apparently, you come from the PPC camp. It is okay to say whatever you want, but your lies will not stop people from buying Palms.

Don't want to go deep into your fray trap. Potential buyers just go to a store & pick up the demo units and see. By the way, check out the price before you go to the cashier.

******************
Lie is the future.

RE: Palm owners ....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 11:12:29 AM #
Why does everyone always come here to tell people that there PDA is the best and that the other, in this case Palm, sucks? Why do you need to convert others? Just buy your damn PDA and use it!

RE: Palm owners ....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 11:48:00 AM #
Palm and Sony users: UNITE against PPC!.
Jerry Springer should moderate this forum.

Personally I will never buy a Pocket PC becouse if I put it in my pocket, it will pull down my pants. :)

RE: Palm owners ....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 11:54:46 AM #
You know why the PPC board are always people
who are using it and not people who come to ask
opinions?
Because no new customers for PPC. :-)
Only those old owners still care about it.

Ok. I am a little bit kidding.

Its OS device has its own merrit. So many
more people buying Palm instead of PPC have
their own valid reasons. You probably could not see
them.

enterprise use, PPC does have some advantages.

Before OS 5 coming out, I believe Palm will still
do quite well on consummer side and lose market shares
on enterprise side to PPC.

ted

RE: Palm owners ....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 11:57:36 AM #
It is good to hear the other side. Hear all sides try both and make your own decisions.

RE: Palm owners ....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 12:01:52 PM #
"As I see it, for personal use, Palm has a lot of advantage over PPC ( at least now). But for
enterprise use, PPC does have some advantages."

Are you kidding????
Corporate America prefers Palm OS, I dont remember the exact numbers but you can ask any IT guy
Not only Palm devices are easier to use and more user friendly but they are also easier to mantain. The last thing they need is hanhelds that freeze like Windows does.
Maybe the next crop of PPC will be better but currently PalmOS is more reliable

RE: Palm owners ....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 12:23:06 PM #
Yes, we all know of the amazing innovation in PPC 2002. All M$ did was fix some of the bugs, tried (and failed) to clean up the really clunky user interface, stole some good ideas from the Palm OS, and called it "Innovation". Bah!!

Too bad all those H-P customers who paid over $500 for their Jornadas can't upgrade. But hey, they can afford to buy whole new handhelds, right?

All the PPC crowd are too big, too heavy, too expensive, and too buggy. That's why after 5 years in the market PPC is still a niche player. If they didn't have the Microsoft name on them, no one one would buy them at all.

RE: Palm owners ....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/2/2002 6:11:04 PM #
Jerry Springer.... Palm vs PocketPC.... now THAT would be an episode to watch !

RE: Palm owners ....
I.M. Anonymous @ 3/3/2002 7:37:15 AM #
Two words are sufficient to deal with your self-satisfied smugness:

1) Form Factor: enjoy your brick-sized-thigh life

2) Variety: a pitiful lack of wide-ranging software

Oops, I overshot my two words. But with your mental faculties (judging by your inability to objectively assess the benefits of one platform versus another), it probably didn't register. Meander on in your deluded life, bozo.

m515 & m130 in UK

Romanov @ 3/2/2002 3:33:09 PM #
The UK electrical retailer Dixons had m515 and m130 on display today. When the assistant checked the price for me they came up at £0.01 on the tills, unfortunately he would not sell me one at that price :(

Guess we will have to wait until Monday for an actual price.

Dixons also had the Treo 180 and 180g at the £599 price without connection.

Nic Hughes