Former Exec Calls PalmSource a 'Huge Strategic Error'
A recently distributed AP article about the latest sales woes at Palm Inc. reaches into the timelines of Palm Inc's not too distant past and pulls out some interesting disclosures and quotes. While the article focuses on the present situation Palm Inc. finds itself in, the author peppers up his piece with a few choice quotes from former Palm/HandSpring CEO Donna Dubinsky. Mrs. Dubinsky was one of the founding members of Palm Inc. and until last year retained a seat on Palm's board of directors.
In the midst of explaining the series of spin offs and corporate restructuring shenanigans that seem to have plagued Palm Inc. throughout its lifetime, Dubinsky admits that in hindsight the decision to create PalmSource and spin off the Palm OS was a "huge strategic error."
Dubinsky said all the shuffling took "critical resources and attention from product development." And even though it happened years ago, she called the decision to spin off PalmOS a "huge strategic error."
"As RIM, Apple and Palm all have demonstrated, these devices need to be highly integrated hardware and software developments in order to optimize the user experience," Dubinsky wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "When Palm no longer could advance the OS, and had to create a new one, it lost several years."
Article Comments(7 comments)
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah
- Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Gekko