Still Room for a Palm OS VGA Lead?
Brighthand's Ed Hardy has written a editorial entitled, There's Still Room for the Palm OS to Take the Lead in VGA. He thinks that Palm OS Cobalt offers much better support for handhelds with VGA (640x480) displays.
From the Editorial,
Microsoft seems to have emphasized making what's on the screen look better, rather than having more information appear. It doesn't matter if you are using the Default Layout or the Desktop Layout; a handheld running Windows Mobile 2003 SE doesn't display much more than a QVGA Pocket PC does on the same setting.
The latest version of Palm OS Cobalt has support for VGA built into it. Full support for VGA was only added a few months ago, and no handhelds have been released running Cobalt, so exactly how well VGA has been implemented isn't clear yet.
What I'm hoping is that Cobalt devices will come with a web browser that has a "true" VGA mode. I want a browser that shows a web page as it would appear on a PC if it had a 640-by-480 pixel display. This sounds simple, but it isn't available in Windows Mobile SE.
Article Comments(23 comments)
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife