PalmSource Now Accepting Nominations for Powered Up Awards
PalmSource today announced it has officially opened nominations for the Fall 2005 U.S. Powered Up Awards. The nominations are now being accepted and will close on December 11, 2005. The U.S. Powered Up Award winners will be announced on Wednesday, December 14, 2005.
The awards will be given in five categories, and for the first time, the Powered Up Awards feature a monetary prize for the Best-In-Class grand prize. The winner of the Best-In-Class award will receive USD $10,000.00, a Palm, Inc. device of their choice and a co-marketing package valued at approximately USD $20,000.00.
"With over 400,000 registered developers, the PalmSource developer program comprises one of the world's largest communities of mobile software developers for both commercial and in-house/enterprise software applications. Twice a year, with the Powered Up Awards, PalmSource traditionally recognizes Palm OS developers by highlighting the most innovative and compelling third party Palm OS applications," said Albert Chu, PalmSource vice president of business development. "We are very pleased that this year Palm, Cingular, Motricity and CNET Download.com are co-sponsoring these awards, thereby demonstrating their continued commitment to the community of Palm OS developers and Palm Powered device customers."
"The Palm OS developer community continues its rich history of innovation by continuing to release a wide variety of applications. We believe these applications personalize the experience and deliver meaningful services enhancing the value and capabilities of smartphones and handhelds from Palm, Inc.," said Paul Leeper, director of developer relations for Palm, Inc.
Fall 2005 U.S. Powered Up Award Categories
The Fall 2005 U.S. Powered Up Awards celebrate Palm OS developers who have created innovative software applications representing the best of breed in the Palm Powered economy and take advantage of the advanced features of Palm Powered phones and mobile devices. Powered Up Awards will be given in five categories:
- Enterprise / Productivity
- In-House / Custom Application (not commercially available)
- Wireless / Over-the-Air
- Games / Entertainment
For the first time, the Powered Up Awards have added a monetary award as part of the Best-In-Class grand prize. The winner of the Best-In-Class grand prize will be selected by the U.S. Powered Up Awards judges from the nominees in the Enterprise/Productivity, Wireless/Over-The-Air, Multimedia and Games/Entertainment categories.
- The winner of the Best-In-Class award will receive USD $10,000.00, a Palm, Inc. smartphone or handheld of their choice and a co-marketing package valued at approximately USD $20,000.00.
- The winner of the Enterprise/Productivity category will receive a Palm Treo(TM) 650 smartphone and USD $1,000.00.
- The winner of the Wireless/Over-the-Air category will receive a Palm Treo 650 smartphone and USD $1,000.00.
- The winner of the Multimedia category will receive a Palm LifeDrive(TM) mobile manager and USD $1,000.00.
- The Winner of the Games/Entertainment category will receive a Palm Tungsten(TM) E2 handheld and USD $1,000.00.
- In addition, the winners in these categories will also receive a co-marketing package valued at approximately $13,000.00.
PalmSource is now accepting nominations for Powered Up Awards online here . Rules and an FAQ are also available via this link. Palm OS developers may encourage nominations of their application by posting a banner on their website.
Nominations for the Powered Up Awards will close at 6:00 pm PST on Sunday, December 11, 2005. Winners will be announced on Wednesday, December 14, 2005. The Fall 2005 Powered Up Awards are being co-sponsored by Palm, Inc., Cingular Wireless, PalmGear.com, a division of Motricity and CNET Download.com.