VoIP Coming to the Palm OS
The MantraGroup is currently working on a mobile Voice over IP (VOIP) solution for the Palm OS. Their product, mobiVoIP, is currently undergoing a closed beta trial. When ready, mobiVoIP will enable many Palm OS devices to make voice calls over the Internet from a wirelessly connected handheld.
VoIP, or Voice Over IP (pronounced 'voyp'), is a new technology that lets you make phone calls over the Internet. When you make a VoIP phone call, you use a normal touch-tone telephone and dial the normal phone number just as you would any other time. The people on the other end (usually) can't tell that whether you are calling from a traditional telephone or a VoIP phone. The main difference is that the phone call travels over the Internet rather than through the local phone company's wires. mobiVoip takes it to next step allowing you to use your PDA and make VoIP calls.
The MantraGroup is currently working on stabilizing the product and adding additional features for mobiVoIP including background operation. A list of currently implimented features can be found here. The company has not yet announced a release date or pricing info. TamsPalm has a short report posted about the beta.
Thanks to Gaurav for the tip.
Article Comments(19 comments)
- RE: Check out my apps! (Updated) -HyperScheduler
- RE: Check out my apps! (Updated) -StrawMan
- Check out my apps! (Updated) -Gekko
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -Gekko
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -HyperScheduler
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -richf
- RE: It saddens me that this is all -richf