New Palm OS VoIP Application
Articulation is a new VoIP application for the Palm OS from Hampton Software. It is compatible with most Palm OS 5+ devices with a microphone that can access the Internet via Wi-Fi/Bluetooth or EDGE/GPRS. Articulation is the first service independent VoIP phone for Palm OS, which means you can use it with a number of different VoIP service providers.
Articulation supports the standard SIP VoIP protocol. The app will work with the majority of SIP VoIP service providers and the developers have a list of confirmed compatible providers. At this time the program is not compatible with Skype.
There is a large selection of VoIP providers worldwide with very cheap rates when compared with most cell phone plans; it is often free to call some destinations and many do not charge a monthly fee.
- Ability to make PSTN calls with your PDA
- Select the SIP VoIP provider of your choice
- Lookup phone numbers direct from you contacts
- Touch-tones (DTMF) for 'phone menus'
- Supports WiFi, Bluetooth and EVDO connections
- Call timer
- Silence suppression (only transmit your voice)
- Echo cancellation for 'speakerphone' use
- Secure account authentication with SIP MD5 Authentication
- Supports GSM and G711 codecs (GSM is suited to low bandwidth connections)
- NAT support through RFC 3581 and ability to fix ports for symmetric NATs
- Symmetric RTP support
- Low latency
- Low memory usage
Articulation has a 1 minute call restriction so you can test it out before purchasing. Registration costs £20.00 ($37.78 USD).
Article Comments(18 comments)
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -PacManFoo
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -heavyduty
- Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -zinzan
- RE: Reference to the Palm Foleo -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Reference to the Palm Foleo -linds
- Reference to the Palm Foleo -HyperScheduler
- RE: WebOS smartwatch -Tuckermaclain
- WebOS smartwatch -BaalthazaaR