Palm Supports CA Hands Free Cell Phone Bill
Palm, Inc. today announced its enthusiastic support of State Senator Joe Simitian's (D-Palo Alto) SB-1613, which will require California drivers who choose to use a cell phone while driving to use a hands-free device. The bill is scheduled to be signed by Governor Schwarzenegger today and to go into effect on July 1, 2008.
California's largest producer of cell phones, Palm is the first and only cell-phone manufacturer to publicly support the bill.
Palm believes that SB-1613 responsibly addresses evidence that handheld cell-phone use increases the risk of accidents. Palm also believes that while this bill is not the first in the United States, its passage in California could be instrumental in leading other states to follow suit and improve driving safety.
"With the technology available today, there is no reason for a driver to be holding a cell phone while behind the wheel,” said Mary Doyle, senior vice president and general counsel at Palm. "Headset technology, both wired and wireless, is readily available, and call quality using a hands-free headset is generally excellent. With our Treo smartphones, Palm gives drivers numerous options for helping keep their eyes on the road and two hands on the wheel, focusing first and foremost on driving.”
Palm Treo smartphones fully support hands-free use. They are equipped with speaker phones and are compatible with a number of hands-free accessories, including headsets, earpieces and car kits offered by leading automobile manufacturers.
Article Comments(42 comments)
- and now... LG opensources WebOS -Poopie
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain