Sony Gives Details on Prototype Camera & GPS Memory Sticks
Sony has released new pictures and details of prototype digital camera and GPS Memory Stick peripherals. The descriptions are in Japanese but some facts can be gleaned. Details are still sketchy, though. It is known that these are working prototypes, not just non-functional mockups.
Sony has not yet disclosed what these will cost though it says they will be available within a year.
Unfortunately for S series owners, these devices appear to work only with the N series. Sony doesn't give any reason for this but lists only the N series models as being compatible.
The PEGA-MSC1 is the digital camera module. It has a 100 thousand pixel CMOS image sensor and a rotating lens. Images can be viewed with Picture Gear Pocket and stored in its own memory. How much storage space the MSC1 has wasn't mentioned.
The PEGA-MSG1 is the GPS module. In order to reduce the size of this device, it has a folding antennae.
As usual, the translations from Japanese are a bit garbled but it appears that these will require the Clié to be running OS 4.1. Fortunately for N710C users, Sony finally appears to be close to releasing an OS upgrade.
Sony has shown prototypes of camera and GPS Memory Stick peripherals before but they haven't looked like these. They have also said they have a Bluetooth Memory Stick in development.
Thanks to nXt for the tip. I got this information as best I could with the help of Babelfish. If any of it is incorrect, please let me know. -Ed
Article Comments(27 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah