Sony CEO Wants to Buy PalmSource
In a week full of Sony news and reviews, comes a very interesting interview with Sony's CEO, Nobuyuki Idei at AlwaysOn. In the discussion he reveals that he would buy PalmSource, if they would sell.
The interview touches on a number of topics including Sony's decision to use the Palm OS for it's PDA's and Symbian for their smartphones, "And I can't tell you why Sony has a Symbian OS on its phones and Palm OS on its PDAs. [ Laughs ] Even Bill Gates asked me if I was crazy."
PalmSource Inc, announced in October of 2002 that it had received a $20 million minority equity investment by Sony Corporation. As a result, Sony has about a six percent ownership stake in PalmSource.
Mr. Idei goes on to say, "I really want to own either Symbian or Palm. I want to buy them. [...] My problem now is that as Palm licensee we have to pay them lots of money. " Much more is covered in the interview and I highly recommend you read the full piece. The interview is part 1 of a three-part series.
Sony has been a Palm OS licensee since 1999, and with the introduction of its CLIE personal entertainment organizer product line, has brought to market some of the most innovative and successful Palm Powered products.
Thanks to Mike Cane, kev and j888 for the tips.
Article Comments(55 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife