New Clie to Use an OLED Display
According to an article published on Yomiuri Online, a Japanese newspaper, Sony is planning to begin using OLED, or Organic LED screen technology, in new handhelds due in the spring of 2004.
The article in the Yomiuri claims that Sony will begin using a new OLED screen in a handheld in the spring of 2004. The company has not released a new model since October. Sony may also debut a new model at the upcoming CES show in January, as they did with the NZ90 last year.
About OLED Screens
Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) is a generic term for a whole group of possible screen types. OLEDs are made up of thin films of organic materials that give off light of various colors when voltage is applied to them. Like LCDs, OLEDs have both active matrix and passive matrix forms.
The main advantages of OLED screens over current ones is the screen itself glows so there is no need for a back- or side-light. This means they require less power and take up less space, two important factors in a handheld. They also cost less to make.
OLEDs have a faster response time so they are also better able to show video. They can be seen from wider viewing angles. They are less susceptible to heat and cold. OLEDs have fewer manufacturing steps and use both fewer and cheaper materials than LCDs do.
Numerous companies are working on developing OLED screens, like Sony, Pioneer; and TDK. Research scientists at Kodak invented the OLED in the early 80s and the company continues working with them today.
Thanks to ClieSource for the link.
Article Comments(44 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah
- Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Gekko