SanDisk Releasing Zire 71 Wi-FI SD Card
After well over a year of delays, SanDisk is close to releasing a SDIO Wi-Fi card for a Palm OS handheld, however the new card will only work with the palmOne Zire 71.
TomsNetworking reports, SanDisk says existing SD WiFi cards can't be used in the Zire 71, even with the new card's drivers, due to hardware changes that were made in the newer version card. The discontinued Zire 71 is the only model that SanDisk has managed to get to work—no thanks to the folks at PalmOne. According to SanDisk, Zire 72's have a driver problem that prevents them from working with pretty much any card requiring true SDIO capability—although memory cards work fine. SanDisk says it would like to support more PalmOS devices, but to date, PalmOne has not released a patch to correct this problem either publically or to SanDisk.
The card was first announced for Palm OS devices in January 2003 with a March 03 release. In May 03, SanDisk pushed the release back until the fall. In August the company released the card, but only with drivers for Windows Mobile devices. In November, the date was again delayed until December and it was later announced that it would finally ship sometime in late Q2 2004.
The new Wi-Fi card should be available in stores in late June/July for $99 USD. The company has also confirmed that the recently announced WiFi and memory combo SD card will not be compatible with Palm OS devices.
Article Comments(56 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- and now... LG opensources WebOS -Poopie
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain