HP Cancels HomeServer Line to Focus on WebOS
To date, HP's MediaSmart Home Server line has been one of the more popular and highly-acclaimed entries in the relatively niche world of home server box solutions. Regardless, mediasmartserver.net is reporting that HP has discontinued their MediaSmart server line in order to reallocate resources to WebOS. Specifically, "shifting additional resources to focus on webOS initiatives".
Note that this does not mean a WebOS-powered compact server; rather, the MediaSmart Server team is being reassigned to work on the presumed bevy of WebOS devices in a variety of form factors promised by HP and Palm throughout 2010. HP's Personal Systems group, headed by Todd Bradley oversees the company's WebOS and mobility products as well as PC-related product lines including MediaSmart servers.
While no specific reasons are given, it's likely that a major WebOS push in the coming year, coupled with a widely-panned loss of features in the upcoming Home Server "Vail" and less-than-spectacular consumer interest in home server boxes led to HP's decision.
Article Comments(1 comment)
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife