How-To: Use PowerRUN To Store AvantGo Files on Expansion Cards
One of the mostly widely used Palm applications is AvantGo, which stores content from the Internet onto user's handhelds. Depending on how many channels are subscribed to, this can take up a large amount of RAM and AvantGo has not yet been re-written to allow it to store its data files on an expansion card.
However, PowerRUN has an undocumented feature that allows AvantGo's databases to be stored on external cards.
Use PowerRUN To Store AvantGo Files on Expansion Cards
I've been playing around with PowerRUN v1.1b2, Filez v3.0, and McFile v2.0b1 with AvantGo v4.0. I emailed Mr. Tatsushi (creator of PowerRUN) regarding the comparison of his product to WorkBench and I found that his product utilizes a 'smart compare' feature that is very powerful. He has also developed an undocumented feature that makes his product stand out over others that I have used. (BTW, I'm a registered user of both WorkBench v1.2 and PowerRUN v1.1b2) With his help, I have found a way to save over 1MB of internal memory of my Palm.
Avantgo has several 1k files (channels) and two larger files named 'AvantGo.prc' and 'AvGoDocsMQ.prc'. On my Palm m505, these files are 307k and 807k respectively. If a user subscribes to more or fewer channels, these two file sizes will grow or shrink. By following the instructions I got from Mr. Tatsushi, these two big files can be run from the SD or MMC card.
Here's how it works. Upon HotSyncing, the two big files get recreated with newer data and get temporarily stored into the Palm's internal RAM. The reason I say 'temporarily' is because upon launching the AvantGo application (utilizing PowerRUN's shortcut to the SD or MMC card), PowerRUN will automatically see that the internal RAM's files are newer so it will use these two newer files instead. Then, upon exiting AvantGo, PowerRUN will AUTOMATICALLY move these two newer files to the SD or MMC card and overwrite the older files.
All the 1k files (channels) stay in the Palm's internal RAM, but they are small and a user is limited to the amount of channels that he/she may subscribe to, anyway. It's the two LARGE files that can be over 1MB that the user should be concerned about.
Please be aware that Mr. Tatsushi made it clear to me that this is an undocumented and unsupported feature of his application. I have been using and trying it out for over a month now without any crashes, malfunctions, or abnormalities. Mr. Tatsushi was nice enough to allow me to publish this feature as long as it was clear to everyone that it is unsupported by him and that this feature may or may not be incorporated into future revisions of PowerRUN.
Well., now to the good stuff. Following is two different methods to achieve the same result:
- Move AvantGo BACK into internal RAM with PowerRUN. (if it was previously moved to SD or MMC card)
- Use McFile or Filez to create an 'AvantGo' directory under /palm/programs/powerrun/
- Use McFile or Filez to move AvantGo.prc and AvGoDocsMQ.prc to /palm/programs/powerrun/AvantGo.
- Use McFile or Filez to create a 'DONTSAVE' sub-directory under /palm/programs/powerrun/AvantGo. Should now be: (/palm/programs/powerrun/AvantGo/DONTSAVE/ )
- Execute "Update Shortcut" from PowerRUN's menu.
- HotSync then launch AvantGo.
- Move AvantGo to Card by PowerRUN.
- Use McFile or Filez and move 1kbyte files to Palm's internal RAM.
- Use McFile or Filez and create 'DONTSAVE' sub-directory under the AvantGo directory. Should now be: ( /palm/programs/powerrun/AvantGo/DONTSAVE/ )
- Now HotSync then launch AvantGo.
Article Comments(45 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.