Sony Develops New Small Screen Technology
Sony has developed a new LCD screen which integrates a number of peripheral circuits on the screen for increased reliability and reduced bulk. The 320x480 (half VGA or high res+) resolution display supports a 260,000 color capability. This screen is a very likely candidate for use in Palm OS devices which will include the virtual graffiti input feature.
The screen is a 3.8-inch, low-temperature polycrystalline silicon system-on-glass LCD panel, which integrates all peripheral circuits. The peripheral circuits include the: gate driver, source driver, timing generator, RGB interface circuit, reference driver, and Vcom driver. This new system will reduce the amount of circuitry for better reliability and decreased thickness.
We can only speculate at this point that these screens will be used in future Palm OS based devices. It seems very likely as current and future Sony PDA screens feature the same 320x480 high res plus screens. Sony plans to start volume production of the screens in early 2003.
Thanks to Dan for the tip!
- Sony Press release (Japanese)
Article Comments(31 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife