Sony Clie NX60 Discontinued, NX70V Lowered
Sony has discontinued the Clie NX60. The NX60 was the lower priced NX series model that lacked the built in digital camera. In addition the NX70V price has been lowered to $499.
Sony quietly moved the NX60 to it's list of discontinued handhelds. Sony never announces or gives reasons for price cuts and discontinuations.
The NX60 was the lower priced alternative to the NX70V. It debuted in October of 2002 at $499 USD. It shared the same form factor and features as the NX70V, but left out the digital camera. It ran Palm OS 5 and included a 320x480 screen, the 200mhz Intel PAX250 processor, 16MB of ram and an integrated thumboard.
The Clie NX70V model has been lowered by $100 to $499. Historically when Sony cuts prices and discontinues models, replacements are not far behind.
It is reasonable that Sony will use a faster processor and offer increased memoryin any future device. The PXA250 processor, which Sony has used in all of their Palm OS 5 models, was recently discontinued by Intel and replaced with the more energy efficient PXA255 which can run at speeds of up to 400mhz. Palm OS 5.2.1 has also removed the 16mb internal memory constraint, paving the way for more internal RAM for all Palm OS licensees.
Thanks to Devan for the tip!
Article Comments(28 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife