New Entry Level Clie Shown in Japan
Sony is showing a new Clie model at the WPC Expo trade-show in Japan. The new models has a slim design with a jog dial located in the front. A few details are know about the handheld and a few pictures are available from the expo.
The new Clie has a 320x320 pixel screen and runs Palm OS 5.2. Sony has placed a redesigned jog dial on the front of the handheld, where you would typically find the up/down buttons. The device has a thickness of 11.9mm or .47 inches. It appears to lack an audio port and some sites are reporting the devices does not have an audio program.
It is said to come in six different colors (purple, white, black, red, blue, silver). It should be available in Japan before the end of the year for around 20,000 Yen, which is roughly $175 USD. Not many other details or information about a version for outside of Japan are known yet.
According to ZDNet Japan Sony was also showing a prototype projection keyboard. The demo was put together by Canesta, Inc, which has developed the chipset for the virtual keyboard. It enables devices to project an image of a keyboard on a nearby flat surface, and then read the finger movements of a user who types on that image, as if it were a physical, full-sized keyboard. Canestaís electronic perception technology resolves the userís finger movements in real time into keystrokes electronically provided to the device.
Thanks to Tiger_BB for the tip!
Article Comments(72 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife