Sony Boosts Memory Stick Size & Speed
Sony Electronics has announced a expanded range of Memory Stick PRO media that offers higher capacities and higher-speed read and write capabilities. The new sticks are compatible with a vast array of current Memory Stick PRO devices including Clie handhelds.
The updated Memory Stick PRO (High Speed) media features capacities of up to 2GB in the standard-size media and 1GB in the Memory Stick PRO Duo media size and are designed to support both read and write speeds of up to 80Mbps (10MB/s.). Among the fastest in the flash media industry, this higher speed will be especially beneficial for transferring data-intensive images, such as high-resolution digital photos, to and from PCs and other devices that may incorporate a high-speed parallel data transfer interface in the future.
"With the introduction of this faster speed Memory Stick PRO media, we are preparing for the development of new applications and devices that will demand high reading and writing speeds," said Mike Kahn, senior product manager of digital imaging accessories for Sony Electronics. "Higher quality, more data-intensive video capture might be one such application, but engineers now have the latitude to dream up even more."
The high-performance media also offers greater reliability in extreme temperatures with an improved operating temperature range of -13°F to 185°F. Whether your Memory Stick PRO media is in your backpack on the ski slopes or in the trunk of your car on a hot summer day, you can trust your media will perform as expected. Sony will offer this expanded reliability on all Memory Stick PRO media beginning this fall.
Easily recognizable by its striking new red color and "High Speed" marking, Memory Stick PRO (High Speed) media will be available later this year as follows:
- 1GB Memory Stick PRO Duo (High Speed) media for about $350
- 2GB Memory Stick PRO (High Speed) media for about $700
Sony has also upgraded its standard Memory Stick PRO media to accommodate those who want the advantages of high capacity at lower prices. The enhanced basic Memory Stick PRO media is more competitively priced and offers greater durability with the same expanded operating temperature range as the high speed. Dressed in basic black, the refreshed Memory Stick PRO media will also be available later this year as follows:
- 512MB Memory Stick PRO Duo media for about $155
Article Comments(25 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife