PalmSource Installer v1.5 Released
PalmSource has released version 1.5 of thier PalmSource Installer developer tool. It is a significant update that address a number of key developer issues.
PalmSource Installer is a Palm OS application installation technology designed to streamline the online and over-the-air (OTA) download and install process of Palm OS applications onto Palm Powered smartphones and other wireless devices. As part of PalmSource’s effort to make software titles more easily accessible for end users, PalmSource Installer can minimize the complexities commonly associated with loading software by providing one-touch software download and install functionality for Palm Powered smart mobile devices.
PalmSource states, "Our goal is to make it possible for ALL Palm OS applications to be available over-the-air directly to users who may rarely (if ever) synchronize with a PC. As developers, this should be your goal too. This new Installer release is the next step towards realizing this vision." Some highlights of what is new:
- Self-extracting EXE creation for simplified Windows install
- Self-extracting PRC support for Macintosh/Linux installation fallback
- "Universal" URL supports OTA and desktop from one link
- "Universal" browser support: IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera
- Installation support for OS selection and Device ID selection (in addition to language and screen resolution)
- Auto-Run of app after install
- Simple documentation install (“Installed Packages” Directory)
- Improved graphics/icons
- Updated documentation and samples
This iteration of the Installer is very much ready for prime-time, and PalmSource intends to be announcing some significant partnerships at the DevCon around this. They will also be prominently featuring a showcase of applications that take advantage of the Installer, and which show off how easy OTA application install can be.
Article Comments(15 comments)
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife