No Further Treo 650 Shipments to Europe
Palm announced in its latest quarterly conference call that no more Treo 650 shipments will be sent to Europe because of new European environmental laws. The smartphone will be available from carriers until current inventory runs out. Palm has also promised a new Treo model designed for European markets before the end of the year to replace the Treo 650 and comply with the RoHS directive.
European Union's Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) law prohibits the use of lead and five other toxic substances in electronics equipment takes effect July 1st. Internal components in the Treo 650 smartphone contain lead and the current model is not in compliance with the new standards.
Palm has said that they have made sure that European distributors received a final large shipment before the deadline. However, no further new Treo 650's will be sent to the EU from Palm.
Palm has said that its next Treo smartphone will be targeted at European markets and is lead free and in full compliance with the RoHS law.
Palm CEO Ed Colligan stated that Palm wants to get its new European product into Europe "as soon as possible." He went on to further indicate the upcoming model is not likely to become available until Palm's 2nd Quarter in FY 2007, which would be in the October - December 2006 timeframe.
Article Comments(18 comments)
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah