Palm Blog Update on the 700p Maintenance Release
As promised, Palm's Steve Sinclair has updated the new Palm corporate blog with a lengthy post concerning the status of the long-awaited, much-delayed 700p ROM maintenance release. In short, Mr. Sinclair and Palm are unusually outgoing in this blog entry and provide not only an updated estimated release date (May 28th) for the ROM patch but give a list of improvements and fixes that are expected to be contained in the update. Steve Sinclair goes on to give some reasons why Palm prefers to roll up a handful of bugfixes into a single, comprehensive maintenance release instead of issuing smaller intermittent patches. Despite earlier reports to the contrary, Mr. Sinclair states in today's entry that the 700p update is still in the midst of the carrier testing and certification process and awaiting final approval.
This blog entry is also well worth reading for frustrated Treo 700p owners upset at the speed with which the Treo 680 was patched versus the nearly year-long delay in addressing the 700p's issues. The essential technical differences between the Treo 680 and 700p updates are highlighted and discussed accordingly.
In addition to the flaky Bluetooth performance (generally seen as the most pressing 700p issue), Palm promises to remedy the SMS lag, "MP3 performance" (likely the skipping that the Pocket Tunes updates have not been able to fully address), the "phone app launch speed" (but no word on general device app launching lag), as well as additional unspecified issues.
Article Comments(3 comments)
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife