MobileInfocenter

Details on Palm m125 Leaking Everywhere

Though Palm has yet to officially announce the m125, the point is rapidly becoming moot. Some stores are already putting them on shelves and many of its details appear on the Palm.com website, though it can't be ordered from them yet. Update: Palm has now discovered its mistake and pulled this page from its site.

For the most part, the rumors have turned out to be true. So far, the largest difference is that the m125 actually weighs only 5.31 oz. instead of the 6.1 oz. previously reported.

As rumored, it runs Palm OS 4.0 and has 8 MB of memory. Physically, it is 4.82 by 3.1 by .87 in. It has an SD/MMC slot and uses Palm's Universal Connector so it can share many peripherals with the m500 series. It costs $250.

Earlier this month, the m125 showed up in the latest Dell Business Solutions catalog.

Brighthand already has a review.

Thanks to aaron w for the tip. -Ed

Related Information:

Article Comments

 (66 comments)

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. PalmInfocenter is not responsible for them in any way.
Please Login or register here to add your comments.

Comments Closed Comments Closed
This article is no longer accepting new comments.

Down View Full Comment Thread

Who cares?

I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 12:24:59 PM #
Just another lame, boring Palm handheld.

RE: Who cares?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 12:34:12 PM #
My 8 year old daughter cares because she can get a Purple Passion cover for it.

I am sure this will benefit a lot of students. It allows them to use mom and dad's pheripherals.

RE: Who cares?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 12:39:06 PM #
This is the problem with edu-ma-cation.

Why praytell does an 8 year old need a Palm?
Let alone one with Purple Barney Passion.



RE: Who cares?
geekd @ 9/18/2001 12:54:37 PM #
If you don't like Palm products, why in the world would you come to s site calle "PalmInfoCenter" ???

Just so you can show your obvious superiority by bagging on Palm?

RE: Who cares?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 1:00:44 PM #
You must not have kids...

Reason 1 - reads children's books while traveling,

Reason 2 - flash cards - great for spelling tests and element tables,

Reason 3 - games,

Reason 4 - friends phone numbers she hasn't memorized, yet,

Reason 5 - picture album,

Reason 6 - and the main reason is so she quits BORROWING MINE.

BTW she already has a V but I havn't found a purple cover yet.

RE: Who cares?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 1:38:35 PM #
Yes, this is modern edu-ma-cation.

> Reason 1 - reads children's books while traveling,
children should be carrying real books not lame electronic ones.

>Reason 2 - flash cards - great for spelling tests and > element tables,
I find it hard to believe that an 8 year old is required to learn her periodic table. In any case, she should be carrying around real flash cards.

> Reason 3 - games,
That's why schoolkids are fat. Not enough real exercise and too much videogaming.

> Reason 4 - friends phone numbers she hasn't memorized, yet,
Yes, I guess kids these days spend more time in teleconferencing and gossip than study.

>Reason 5 - picture album,
OK, dithered black and white pictures of her friends. Ooohh... there's jenny and her cat... too bad it's badly pixelated. What's wrong with carrying real pictures?

> Reason 6 - and the main reason is so she quits BORROWING MINE.
OK, this is the most legitimate use I've heard.



RE: Who cares?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 4:15:12 PM #
Hahah.. this guy is hilarious. Carry 'real' books, carry 'real' flash cards. Blah, Blah, Blah. Sure. Why don't you have the little girl carry around telephone books, address books and calculators. Better yet, why don't *you* carry them around. For christs sake, thats why we have PDAs. Don't be a moron!

RE: Who cares?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 5:11:30 PM #
>Hahah.. this guy is hilarious. Carry 'real' books, carry 'real' flash cards. Blah, Blah, Blah. Sure. Why don't you have the little girl carry around telephone books, address books and calculators. Better yet, why don't *you* carry them around. For christs sake, thats why we have PDAs. Don't be a moron!


huh, that's funny. why the little girl needs to carry
telephone books? even me, i dont need books(!), small
memopad would be enough for the addresses. why the
little girl needs a calculator?(and why did you put 's'
there????) does that little girl work or got a job or going
to business trip????

or you re trying to make your daugther a geek. --;;;;;;
heheeh


RE: Who cares?
ahecht @ 9/18/2001 6:42:49 PM #
There's nothing wrong with being a geek!

RE: Who cares?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 8:32:25 PM #
Some nitwit thought he'd cash in on a few cheap jokes. I think it's great that your daughter has her own Palm, and is using it so proficiently. My daughters are too young, right now, to be particularly jealous of my PDA, or ready for their own, but 8 sounds like a pretty good age to start.

RE: Who cares?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/19/2001 10:18:41 AM #
Thanks for the positive comments. We felt that eight was a good age for her use a Palm based on her skill and reading level. She has had her own computer since she was five.

She does travel with me on business trips when not in school but I don't expect her to start her own business for a few more years beyond the typical lemonaid stands or owning a few shares of Disney stock.

The Palm provides us with a productive alternative to keep her active during some of the boredom of travel. She especially likes the ebooks where I did a "find and replace" on the character names and replaced them with names of friends, relatives or her name.

We also felt it was more appropriate than buying portable video games, watching reruns of in-flight movies or watching TV in the hotels.

RE: Who cares?
TheClone @ 9/19/2001 11:15:29 AM #
To the person looking for a purple cover for a Palm V:
http://www.paralleldesign.com/

Palm screwed this up

Hed @ 9/18/2001 12:18:40 PM #
I still can't believe they are putting this in with the m100 series. While style-wise and function-wise this makes sense, that's about it.

Imagine all of people buying peripherals that say "made for m100 series handhelds" on the box. Too bad the m100 series has a different connector. How is the average joe going to know that m500 series peripherals are what they need?

RE: Palm screwed naming up
kevdo @ 9/18/2001 12:44:27 PM #
I'm definitely a Palm Inc. fan, but I've got to admit the naming does pose a problem.

Most notably, this is because the m100 series has been targeted to the low-end or casual user. They are the least likely to be able to discern that some things (faceplates) for m100 ARE for the m125 but that others (SD cards, Universal Connector peripherals) which say m500 are also for it.

I certainly hope there is a lot of big, bold print in the box explaining this to folks.

While I'm not a fan of the model number I'm not sure what number would have been better (except, maybe, m300).

RE: Palm screwed this up
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 2:16:21 PM #
I gotta agree with the naming comments. I also wondered why they didn't name it m300 or something, unless they plan on squeezing another model in between the 100's and 500's, but that would be difficult given the current price structure. Also, is it THAT difficult to make a converter for the old port?

Really Confused now?

I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 1:00:55 PM #
I am looking to purchase a PDA. I was looking at the Handspring Visor Platinum as my choice. Now with the introduction of Palm's m125, with SD, and about the same price as the Visor, I'm at a loss as to which is the better buy???? Any suggestions? Thanks!

RE: Really Confused now?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 1:07:43 PM #
You might want to do some shopping around.
The Handspring Visor Platinum
Handspring Visor Neo
Sony Clie (monchrome) can't rember the model number
All of these list for $199, while the prices I've seen for the m125 are $250.

RE: Really Confused now?
chuck397 @ 9/18/2001 1:11:41 PM #
Have you looked at the Handera?

RE: Really Confused now?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 1:11:56 PM #
Can't tell you which is better. I think it's a matter of personal preference. If you listen to some gadget junkies, nothing is good if it's not color. I just switched from a color Palm to a greyscale and, though it is taking some getting used to, I have no problem for what it's worth.

Handspring has a good number of gadgets to stick in it's slot. As of now, there are only tenative gadgets for the SD/MMC slot on Palms. However, if you're only into expansion for memory's sake, then I would say go with the Palm. You can get up to 64mb on a MMC card (soon to be 128mb) and they're readily available at most computer stores.

Of course, the end choice is yours. I live happily in the land of Handera......sigh :-).

RE: Really Confused now?
ImpReza @ 9/18/2001 1:13:59 PM #
It's called the Sony Clie S320. This is the obvious choice for which handheld you should get.

RE: Really Confused now?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 1:20:52 PM #
> This is the obvious choice for which handheld you should
> get.

Clearly, it isn't obvious to this person. Your kneejerk "Sony
Rules" comment was totally useless.


RE: Really Confused now?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 1:26:10 PM #
I am also a mac person--yeah one those people. So it's Handspring or Palm.

RE: Really Confused now?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 2:02:49 PM #
While the Sony Clie S320 lists at $199, it doesn't include a sync cradle like the Palm m125. I believe the cradle for the Sony runs over $50, so the cost diff is negated IF you value a cradle. I think I'm still going with the Sony though because I'm also in the market for a digital camera (Sony) and the mem stick will be interchangable.

RE: Really Confused now?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 2:21:39 PM #
In the sub $250 category, I'd probably go for a Sony... The features are pretty good. I don't see any advantage the Neo has over it, and the same probably goes for the m125.

Out of all the monochrome models I think there is no doubt - Handera 330 is best.

RE: Really Confused now?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 2:49:04 PM #
From my perspective, attempting to remain totally objective, I think that this device is very competitive with the Sony S320. They are both intended to be entry level devices and priced for the entry level market. The prices are competitive if you factor in that the Sony device is not packaged with a cradle and the m125 is. They can perform the same functions and, I believe, the screens are comparable. The only significant differences between the devices are the expansion card technology (memory stick or SD/MMC) and the design/style of the device itself. The advantages of either SD/MMC or the memory stick over the other, at this point, are marginal. The notion that the memory stick is proprietary may be moot considering the amount of support Sony seems to be putting behind it.

In the final analysis, I think the choice between the two comes down to the intangibles. Which device's style appeals to you more and which company will you feel more comfortable/assured dealing with if you need customer service?

Ronin

RE: Really Confused now?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 3:08:54 PM #
The m1xx is the toughest handheld available for consumers. its case and screen are made to survive being dropped. don't try this with the others.

RE: Really Confused now?
kevdo @ 9/18/2001 3:10:10 PM #
The Sony model also lacks usable hardware buttons (IMHO, of course). There may be some which like the style of the Sony unit -- OTOH there may be some (like me) who actually prefer the Palm m100 style (esp. w/Faceplates).

BUT -- that's OKAY. This is exactly why Palm is licensing the OS. So each company can have a unit with unique features or styles. Better than the old days where you could choose from one or two Palm units which all looked the same. Vive le Difference!

RE: Really Confused now?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 3:22:58 PM #
where do people get that the Sony Clie 320 does not come with a hotsynch cradle? If you looked a the features of the S320 at sonystyle.com, the S320 does indeed come with a USB hotsynch cradle.

IMO, the S320 is the best value/form factor/performance in the low-end handheld market.

RE: Cable Not Cradle
Ed @ 9/18/2001 3:29:55 PM #
> where do people get that the Sony Clie 320 does not come with a hotsynch cradle?

I have written a review on the S320 and I can confirm that it does not come with a cradle. If you look again at the SonyStyle site, you'll see that it comes with a "USB HotSync® cable".

I'd also like to point out that the S320 can HotSync with a Macintosh right out of the box. Earlier models had a problem but not the ones with OS 4.

BTW, I agree with kevdo, the argument over which one is best is pointless because different people have different needs. One size does not fit all.

---
News Editor

I do think Sony Rules, thank you very much.
ImpReza @ 9/18/2001 4:29:06 PM #
You are ABSOLUTELY right. I do think Sony rules. Not just with the Clie, but all of their products. All of its products that i own have never had any problems. In my opinion, they are the best electronics company. You might have a different need for your PDA, but for mine, and for many others, the Clie fits the bill very well.

RE: Really Confused now?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 11:17:10 PM #
The S320 comes with a travel kit, the HotSync cable and charger. This kit costs $50 to but as well. You're not getting something cheaper by just getting a cable. As for the MemoryStick, it is already avaiable in 128 megs, and it fits nicely into the Clié. From the pictures I see for the m125, it seems to stick out of the side. I've always had the Palm III style, starting with a IIIe, then IIIx, then IIIxe and finaly a S320. I would have bought another Palm if they still used the III style, I really liked it. I didn't consider the m105 because I don't like the look of it, and it lacked expandability. I did consider the Visor Platinum, but the 8 meg memory expansion was $80. I got a 32 meg MemoryStick for only $40.

I didn't see any mention of speed for the m125, but the Clié runs at 33mzh which gives it a benchmark of 203% just 1% lower than the Visor.

A PDA choice is about what you want to do with it. As for expansion addons, I have a digital camera (and can view the images on its MS on my Clié), and a MP3 player, I don't want these intergrated into my palm. I also don't want a blender and mixer intergrated into my car.

I recommend going to a place like Best Buy or Circuit City, and play with all the PDAs and see what you prefer. No-one can tell you which is the best to get for you.

TC

MORE Confused now?
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/19/2001 2:09:17 AM #
How is the m125 going to handle all the potenial SD modules that's coming out? Unless all the modules that are coming fits flush into the unit, wouldn't they get in the way? I mean weren't the module made to stick out the TOP of the m500 series handheld? With the placement of the SD in the m125, modules will stick out the upper left side of the unit.

Not only will the modules be at a position that will make them easier to damage, the bigger modules will completely ruined the way the m125 can be held.

I don't understand why Palm decided to put the SD slot there, unless they only intend the SD slot to be use as a memory expansion option.

web site down

I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 2:40:09 PM #
looks like Palm took the web site down

two words...

I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 3:01:24 PM #
butt ugly.

RE: two words...
rldunn @ 9/18/2001 4:31:56 PM #
I disagree, I think it looks kind of cool, and I'm not a schoolkid and I don't use a Palm.

RE: two words...
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/19/2001 12:06:42 PM #
Butt ugly? Boy, takes all kinds. I think the pics look great.

It certainly looks cooler than any Sony or HandEra device (talk about horribly ugly, I cringe when I see anyof those). It's better than some/most of the Handspring products. Heck, the only things that look cooler than this would be the V and m5xx series.

RE: two words...
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/19/2001 2:31:17 PM #
it looks like one of those toy in discounted bin at Kaybee. The combination of cheap metallic paint job and the black plastic are a definite minus.

THis thing blows

I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 3:21:08 PM #
I work at the best buy and we have had the 125 for almost two weeks but can sell it till the 20th, but I have played with it and let me tell you it sucks, I think the 100 is bhetter then this. Yes it has os 4.1 (who cares so does sony) and it has SD expansion (again sony has it and it works much better). Also it is slow as sin I benchmarked it at 145 but I know that my dads deluxe runs faster then this does, so everyone dont waste your money and go out and buy a new handspring or jsut wait till the n7160 and get quality handhelds....if anyone wants pictures of this ugly as sin thing e-mail me and I will send you some at beerrules@sprintpcs.com....yes that is my real e-mail address rocks doesnt it

Your spelling blows
Davy @ 9/18/2001 6:52:01 PM #
Hmmm.....

Your spelling and grammer leave a lot to be desired. Maybe that's why you're "Beerrules@sprintpcs.com"

Pictures are widely available for it, we don't need to e-mail you for them.

Sony's machines do not have SD expansion, they use a memory stick.......

If you want to complain, please, write in a form of english that educated people can understand.

RE: THis thing blows
I.M. Anonymous @ 9/18/2001 10:37:48 PM #
>Your spelling and grammer leave a lot to be desired.

Uh...before you start railing on someone, take the time to make sure that your sh**'s in order. "grammer" is spelled "grammar."

>If you want to complain, please, write in a form of english that educated people can understand.

"english" should be capitalized as it is used as a proper noun or adjective. You can also use it as a verb (transitive), but I digress.

Educated? Obviously, the money, time and effort spent on your education has been for naught. But that's okay, because you moderate a User's Group of over 2000 people and go to neat places like Australia with your family.


Top View Full Comment Thread
Achtung! Only the first 50 comments are displayed within the article.
    Click here for the full story discussion page...

Account

Register Register | Login Log in
user:
pass: