Xerox Lawsuit Over Graffiti Reinstated
Way back in1997, Xerox filed a lawsuit against U.S. Robotics, who owned the Palm OS at the time, claiming that Graffiti was an infringement on their patent for a handwriting recognition method, called Unistrokes. The patent was awarded in January of 1997. In June of last year, a judge dismissed the suit on the grounds that Graffiti wasn't similar enough to Unistrokes.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit has now reversed that decision, saying the judge misinterpreted how and where the symbols must be written to be recognized by the computer. The case will now continue in the District Court.
Carl Yankowski, Palm's chief executive officer, said, "Palm continues to believe that the Graffiti software does not infringe the patent and that Palm has other defenses supporting its stance. Palm intends to continue to vigorously defend itself.''
Article Comments(20 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Don't we have this already? -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -richf
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dmitrygr
- Palm phone on HDblog -palmato
- Palm PVG100 -hgoldner
- RE: Like Deja Vu -PacManFoo
- Like Deja Vu -T_W
- RE: Don't we have this already? -richf