Beta of Palm Desktop 4.0 for Mac OS X Available (Updated)
Palm Inc. has released a beta version of Palm Desktop 4.0 for Macintosh OS X and OS 9.
Update: According to the person in charge of this project at Palm, this was initially intended only for Palm employees, which was why it was put on FTP servers with such limited capacity. A true public beta will be released in January on servers that can handle the load. Also, Palm uses the number of people who register for the beta as a way to gauge demand so its important to register with Palm, even if an unauthorized mirror site was used. Finally, any feedback is appreciated.
The major new feature is, of course, compatibility with OS X, though it also offers vCard and vCal support, an OS X Dock menu item, and improvements in data transfer of data between the handheld and desktop software.
It's available in English, Japanese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
Palm Desktop 4.0 allows OS X users to simply drag Address Book items or Date Book items to the desktop to create vCard and vCal files.
Mac users have been demanding a version of the Desktop app for OS X since the release of Apple's new operating system in the first part of this year. While Palm has demoed pre-release versions in the past, it has never committed to an exact release day, only saying it would be available before the end of the year.
Article Comments(55 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife