Rumor: Sony to Announce PEG-T655C on June 25
According to an anonymous source, Sony is going to announce a U.S. version of the T650C on June 25. It probably isn't a coincidence that this is the first day of TECHXNY/PC EXPO, a very large tradeshow. If Sony follows its regular pattern, the new model will be announced but not available until a few weeks later.
Last year, the T600C was introduced in Japan at 40,000 Yen, the same price the T650C is coming out at. This might be an indication that the U.S. version of the T650C will be introduced at the same price the T615C was: $400.
Also according to this source, it will be named the PEG-T655C. If this is correct, it will be a slight change in the way Sony names its models, though the company recently has ignored its own rules when naming other models.
In the past, Sony has changed their product numbers depending on what country the handheld is released in, like the T600C in Japan is basically the same as the T615C in the U.S. and the T625C in Europe. This change has involved adding 10 to the product number. Clearly this isn't the case with this model if the U.S. version of the T650C is to be called the T655C.
To complicate this, Sony didn't didn't change the product names at all for its most recent models, the NR series. It is the NR70 and NR70V no matter where it is sold.
About the T650C
Sony announced the T650C in Japan late last month. It is an updated version of the T600C series, including an improved color screen and a 66 MHz processor. It also has an MP3/ATRAC3 player. It will be available in Japan tomorrow.
The T650C is quite similar to the T600C/T615C/T625C. Its casing is the same size, it uses the same buttons, has the same HotSync connector, etc.
It comes with a pair of earbud headphones but not the control wand that came with previous Sony handhelds with built-in audio players. Instead, the headphones have just a volume control.
Article Comments(26 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah