Palm Releases OS 4.1 Update for m500 and m505
One of the most long-awaited software releases has finally happened. Palm Inc. has released an updater to flash Palm m500 and m505 models to Palm OS 4.1. This update is free.
The update includes several patches that have already been available separately, including one that prevents OS 4.0 models from using SD cards larger than 32 MB. It also includes Copy Update, which lets the Launcher's Copy function copy user data associated with an application.
This update works only on the Palm m500 and m505, not on any other model. For some reason, it can't be installed from Windows XP or Mac OS X
Be sure to perform a complete backup of the handheld before installing the update because all data on the handheld will be erased.
The original members of the m500 series were the first models to ship with OS 4.0. A few months later, OS 4.1 was released and began being shipped on new models announced later, like the Sony N760C. However, there was no legal way for m500 and m505 users to update to the new version of the operating system.
This was especially galling when Palm began selling an update to OS 4.1 for older Palm models, like the V and even the III series, in November of last year. At that time, Palm said a free update to OS 4.1 would eventually be available for the m500 series, which has finally happened.
Thanks to Christian Elkjer and Graeme for the tips. -Ed
Article Comments(117 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife