Palm Offering Full Refund to m130 Owners
Several weeks ago, it was acknowledged by Palm Inc. that the m130's screen could not display the number of colors the company had previously advertised. At that time, Palm said it was working on ways to compensate m130 owners for this mistake.
The company has begun sending registered Palm m130 customers an email that gives them two options. The first is a refund for the purchase price and tax of their m130 handheld. The second is a free copy of SimCity, a $30 value.
The email owners will be receiving provides information about these two offers, and links to either download SimCity, or to register to receive a refund. This information will also be posted on the Palm Web site.
SimCity is available in most regions around the world. Where SimCity is not available, regions will still offer options - a free download of a color application, or a full refund.
The m130 starts with a 12-bit screen and uses dithering to increase the number of apparent colors displayed. Palm originally believed that this allowed the m130 to display the same number of colors as a 16-bit screen, which is 65,536. Instead, Palm's system can display what it describes as 58,621 color combinations.
Spokesperson Marlene Somsak has said this was an honest mistake on Palm's part and apologized on behalf of her company for this error.
For all the negative attention this has brought to Palm and the m130, there appears to have been little reaction from m130 owners. According to a company spokesperson, Palm's customer support center has received about 8 calls to date regarding the m130 color issue.
Article Comments(181 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife