Rumor: PalmSource to launch Palm OS Rhinestone
Rumors out of Sunnyvale, California indicate that PalmSource, Inc., provider of Palm OS, a leading operating system powering next generation mobile devices and smarpthones, will soon be introducing a new version of their operating system optimized for the very young consumer (VYC) market. PIC has obtained some possible device pictures and early details about the new OS.
Called Palm OS Rhinestone, the new operating system is a major departure from previous versions of the OS. It appears to be a non-software based operating system designed to run on devices with no memory or CPU.
Key features of Palm OS Rhinestone include:
- Vibrant, static user interface
- "Magic Slate" write-on-screen technology
- Button-activated multimedia frameworks for audio playback
- Real smartphone look and feel
- Robust compatibility with previous sticker-based applications
The rumor includes pictures of some Palm OS Rhinestone devices that may already be in production. The pictures seem to indicate that PalmSource's new licensees would include Fisher-Price and Imperial. The pictures also show what may be the first true tablet-based Palm OS device with a low-resolution boot screen.
PalmInfocenter will have more on this story as it develops...
Happy April fools! Many thanks goes out to the clever folks at PalmSource that came up with Palm OS Rhinestone!
Article Comments(52 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -zinzan
- RE: Reference to the Palm Foleo -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Reference to the Palm Foleo -linds
- Reference to the Palm Foleo -HyperScheduler
- RE: WebOS smartwatch -Tuckermaclain
- WebOS smartwatch -BaalthazaaR
- Palm as a Zombie Brand? -dagwud
- RE: HP webOS dies on 1/15/15 -Gekko