Palm.net Wireless Service Ceasing Operations
After more than five years in existence, Palm.Net, is ceasing operations. The wireless service which powered the Palm VII and i705 handhelds is shutting down permanently at the end of August.
In a recent letter to current subscribers, palmOne has announced the Palm.net service is ceasing operation. The service will close and no longer be available after August 31, 2004. All wireless handheld functionality that utilizes the Palm.Net network will not be available after the closing.
Owners can continue to use the Palm VII, VIIx and i705 devices in non-wireless mode, however, the handheld’s wireless capability is only compatible with the Palm.Net network and can't be transferred to another network. PQAs (web clipping applications) and the palmOne gateway proxy for the WAP Browser service is being also discontinued.
palmOne is offering remaining subscribers a $100 discount on a Treo 600 purchase.
Article Comments(24 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife