Not Coming: The Palm Zepfloyd
Here's an interesting tidbit that's come out of all the web chatter about the new Palm Pixi. As some of you may recall, back in June a Palm device codenamed the "Zepfloyd" was uncovered within the webOS code, alongside the Pre (codenamed "Castle") and the Pixi (codenamed, er, "Pixie"). Speculation ran rampant as to whether we might be looking at a "Pre Touch" PMP-style device or perhaps even a Foleo 2.
Well, we can now exclusively solve the mystery: Zepfloyd is not a super-secret new webOS device, but an old one. The Treo 800w, in fact. A Palm employee on the webos-Internals IRC chat channel has revealed that the 800w hardware was used as a testbed for early webOS development, before the Pre prototypes were available. The code is now "dead", so those of you getting your hopes up for hacking webOS onto the somewhat-unloved Windows Mobile-powered 800w will be disappointed.
Article Comments(2 comments)
- RE: HP webOS dies on 1/15/15 -Gekko
- HP webOS dies on 1/15/15 -wmckelvey
- RE: PHEM: Palm Hardware Emulator -HyperScheduler
- PHEM: Palm Hardware Emulator -Gekko
- features? we don't need no stinkin features! -Gekko
- webos smart watch? -BaalthazaaR
- RE: Still here?? -HyperScheduler
- Picking up a Pre 3 -Tuckermaclain