PalmSource Mobile Summit Awards and DevCon Details
PalmSource has announced it has officially opened nominations for the 2005 US Powered Up Awards that will be given at the PalmSource Mobile Summit & DevCon May 24-26, 2005 at the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose, CA. PalmSource also announced the kick-off of its New & Notables program, an opportunity for developers to showcase new Palm OS applications.
“Our developer community continues its rich tradition of innovation by continuing to release a wide variety of Palm OS applications. We believe these applications personalize the experience and deliver meaningful services enhancing the value and capabilities of Palm Powered devices,” said Larry Berkin, director of worldwide developer marketing for PalmSource. "We are delighted to recognize Palm OS developers at our annual Mobile Summit & DevCon.”
2005 U.S. Powered Up Awards:
The 2005 U.S. Powered Up Awards celebrate Palm OS developers who have created innovative software applications representing the best of breed in the Palm Powered economy and take advantage of the advanced features of Palm Powered smartphones and mobile devices. Powered Up Awards are given in four categories:
- Enterprise / Productivity
- Games / Entertainment
- Wireless / Over-the-air
PalmSource is now accepting nominations for Powered Up Awards online. Contest rules and a FAQ are also available via this link. Palm OS developers may encourage nominations of their application by posting a banner on their website available online. Nominations for the Powered Up Awards close at 6:00 pm PST on Saturday, April 30, 2005.
New & Notables Program:
The New & Notables Program highlights new Palm OS applications introduced during PalmSource’s Mobile Summit & DevCon 2005. This annual program provides a platform for developers to launch new applications for the mobile market. The New & Notables Program is designed to help generate visibility for newly introduced applications. Developers interested in being considered for the New & Notables program may apply online. Applications must be submitted no later than close of business, 6:00 pm PST, Monday, May 16, 2005.
With PalmSource’s emphasis on ease-of-use, flexibility, data protection and compatibility, the Palm OS platform offers a standing invitation for software developers of all skill and experience levels to create applications that extend the capabilities of Palm Powered smart mobile devices. With approximately 39 million Palm Powered devices sold worldwide to date, choosing Palm OS offers software developers new business opportunities and the chance to broaden their reach into the mobile device and smartphone markets. Over 400,000 registered developers have created a variety of software applications for Palm Powered smart mobile devices ranging from Web browsers, email and Internet communications, sales force and field automation, personal productivity, groupware, financial management and games; enabling customers to tailor devices to suit their individual needs.
PalmSource Mobile Summit & DevCon 2005
Featuring keynotes from David Nagel, PalmSource president and CEO and other leading industry leading executives, the conference will feature detailed presentations from PalmSource licensees, operators and business partners.
Highlights of the PalmSource Mobile Summit & DevCon 2005 include:
- Presentations: from senior PalmSource executives, leading wireless operators and strategic partners covering technical and business issues in the mobile device and smartphone markets.
- In-depth sessions, delivered by the PalmSource engineering team, on the Palm OS Developer Suite: a free, open source based tool chain designed to provide developers with a powerful path for ARM-native development.
- Mobile Summit: a business-oriented track designed for a non-technical audience focusing on new business opportunities.
- A state-of-the-art Hardware Lab staffed with PalmSource engineers: featuring the latest Palm Powered devices, the Hardware Lab provides "hands-on" access to a complete line of Palm Powered devices for testing and debugging.
- Palm OS Certified Developer Exam: the official PalmSource exam will be provided free-of-charge. A passing grade designates an "expert" developer allows the use of the Palm OS Certified Developer logo and a listing on palmsource.com.
- Meet Our Partners Session: a roundtable session dedicated to industry networking. A chance to get up close and personal with industry leaders to discuss hot topics in an intimate setting.
- A Super-charged Palm OS User Group Meeting (PUG): a PalmSource sponsored PUG meeting will be held on May 23, 2005. This free meeting is open to the public and will be co-hosted by local and regional user groups.
- Programmer’s Introduction to Palm OS: This half-day pre-conference training held on May 23, 2005 has been tailored for developers who are new to Palm OS application development and would like to become proficient in handheld application design, efficient use of memory, data storage techniques, and user interface programming best practices.
- Attendees will also become familiar with PalmSource-provided tools, documentation, and other resources necessary for developing Palm OS applications.
Conveniently located at the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose, California, registration is now open. For more information and to register for the PalmSource Mobile Summit & DevCon 2005 visit www.palmsource.com/events