BlackBerry Connect Spotted in Action
We've been hearing for ages that Palm and PalmSource have been working with RIM on bringing BlackBerry Connect software to the Palm OS. Yet after years of press releases from both companies, we have never actually seen an actual working version. Adrew from Treonauts just caught a glimpse of BlackBerry Connect running on a Treo 650 at 3GSM. Apparently, it works as a plug-in to Palm's VersaMail application, and messages are pushed to the device in the usual BlackBerry style. Palm has previously stated they would be offering the service in early 2006.
Through RIM's BlackBerry Connect licensing program, Palm will enable its Treo 650 and future Palm OS based Treo smartphones with secure, push-based wireless email via BlackBerry Enterprise Server. The solution will enable the following:
- push-based email using BlackBerry Connect with Palm's VersaMail email client;
- support for Microsoft Exchange and IBM Lotus Domino;
- wireless calendar synchronization;
- remote address lookup of corporate email directory;
- convenient email-attachment viewing;
- Triple DES encryption; and
- IT policy enforcement and commands (such as remotely disabling or wiping email and PIM data from a device in the event it is lost or stolen).
BlackBerry Connect for Palm OS will be available for new and existing Treo 650 users through select carriers. Pricing and distribution details will be provided at a later date.
Article Comments(13 comments)
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife