Palm Responds to the NPD Suit
Palm, Inc. has issued a statement in response to a patent-infringement lawsuit filed against it by patent-holding company NTP Inc. Palm asserts that the lawsuit is "unwarranted" and remarks that NTP's patents are "Dubious."
The statement reads:
The NTP lawsuit claims that certain Palm products infringe seven NTP patents. All seven of the patents asserted are being re-examined by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) and have been rejected by the re-examiners as invalid. Palm also noted that the NTP patents disclose a pager-based email service that has nothing in common with the mobile-computing devices invented by Palm. Continued...
Palm has been in occasional contact with NTP concerning a license to these patents. When Palm last communicated with NTP many months ago, however, each of the patents already was the subject of re-examination proceedings by the Patent and Trademark Office. Palm is disappointed that, after many months of silence and repeated rejections of NTPís claims by the PTO, NTP has chosen to sue on patents of doubtful validity.
Palm respects legitimate intellectual property rights, but will defend itself vigorously against the attempted misuse of the patent and judicial systems to extract monetary value for rights to patents that may ultimately have no value at all.
Earlier today, NTP announced that it has filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Palm, Inc. in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. NTP, Inc. is the company that recently forced RIM into a $612 million dollar settlement over similar patent claims earlier this year.
Article Comments(24 comments)
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife