Treo 680 Compatible with 8gb SDHC Cards
According to this TreoCentral thread, several users are reporting mostly successful results with their Treo 680s and the new 8gb SDHC cards. These cards represent the peak of SD-related flash storage media and onoy recently have seen their prices drop to an affordable level, plummeting in price over the past several weeks.
The Treo 680, Palm's most recent Palm OS-based device and its newest product overall, can read and write to 8gb SDHC cards without problems. However, the Palm OS "card info" screens only display the card as having 3.9gb free out of 3.9gb total. Once passing the 4gb barrier on the cards, the proper amount of free space is properly indicated.
My personal testing with the exact same Transcend 8gb SDHC card on my Treo 700p and Palm TX proved to be utterly fruitless--the Treo 680 is the only Palm device currently offering even unofficial support for SDHC cards.
In addition, since most PC's card reader drives cannot recognize SDHC media, the Pam OS Card Export II (by Softick) and Card Reader (by Mobistream) apps work properly with these high-capacity cards, allowing a user to see the full 8gb volume by utilizing their Treo 680s as card reader drives.
Ace Palm OS hacker Dmitry Grinberg supposedly has a fix in the works for this limitation with this Garnet OS filesystem limitation but no release date has been announced.
Article Comments(59 comments)
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife