Treo Available Today -- Not!
A few weeks ago, a review in the New York Times said the Handspring Treo line would be available on January 14. Well, it's January 14 and there's still no sign of either of the new wireless models. A PIC reader who called the company and tried to order a Treo was told to check back on January 21. Handspring representatives were unavailable for comment. In the past, the company has only said that the Treo would be available this month.
This can't really be considered a delay in the release of the Treo as the January 14 release date came only from David Pogue at the NY Times. Clearly, he was in error.
In fact, the Treo is well ahead of its original deadline. Last year, Donna Dubinsky said her company planned to release a handheld with integrated wireless by June 2002. Later in the year, Handspring said the first models would be out sometime around March of 2002. In November, the release date was moved up again to this month.
The Treo line is made of of several models, all of which have integrated wireless capabilities allowing them to handle both voice and data. The Treo 180 will have a built-in keyboard while the 180g will use Graffiti for text input. Both of these will have monochrome screens and cost $400 with a service contract.
Later this year, the company will release the Treo 270 with a color screen and a built-in keyboard. Handspring currently plans to charge $600 for it.
Article Comments(34 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife