Handspring Plans Mystery Device (Updated)
During a conference call with analysts this afternoon after announcing its most recent quarterly results, Handspring executives talked about the company's plans for future models.
Some of these plans don't come as a surprise. The company intends to release a color version of the Treo and one that runs on CDMA wireless networks that are widely used in the U.S.
However, the call was not without its surprises. Ms. Dubinsky went on to say that her company would be announcing a new model that "fits into the communicator product strategy". She gave no other details.
Update: Originally, this article mistakenly said that the new model would be a wireless one. However, Allen Bush from Handspring emailed me to say, "The new device Donna mentioned today in our conference call is in fact an organizer, not a wirelessly enabled device... What we meant was that the product could borrow some of the design characteristics of our communicator family - not that it would be wirelessly enabled."
All of three of these will be released this financial quarter, which is over at the end of June.
Handspring first announced that it would release a color version of the Treo last fall when the 180 was announced.
Last month, it said it would have a CDMA version out sometime this summer.
Article Comments(78 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife