Rumor: Details on Upcoming Sony Handheld (Updated)
Julie from The Gadgeteer quotes a 'reliable source' with some details on a upcoming device from Sony. According to this source, it will have a 206 MHz StrongARM processor from Intel, which means, of course, that it will have to run Palm OS 5. It will have a clamshell shape, though Julie says she's not sure if it is the same design as the NR series. Like the NR70V it will have a built-in camera, though this one will be able to do video capture, not just take still images.
Update: This rumor is a bit suspect because, according to a someone high up at PalmSource, Intel's StrongARM family isn't part of the Palm OS Ready Program, only its XScale family.
Of course, it will have a Memory Stick slot. In a surprising move, it will also have a Compact Flash slot, though this won't work with memory cards, just add-on peripherals. Sony offers sleds for some of its models that let them use some Compact Flash add-ons but not memory cards. These sleds, however, are available only in Japan.
The source says will ship with a version of Flash Player that can run in full-screen mode. According to a rumor from last March, Macromedia already has a version of the Flash Player written for the Palm OS; however, it is too slow to be usable on the slower Dragonball processors and the company is holding it back until the move to ARM-based processors.
This rumored new model from Sony does not have any built-in wireless networking capabilities, neither Bluetooth nor Wi-Fi.
Unfortunately, a great many details still remain unknown, such as how much RAM it will have, how much it will cost, and when it will be available.
Since PalmSource completed work on Palm OS 5 last month and set it on to its licensees, there has been tremendous anticipation for the first devices using the new operating system. Some information has been leaked about an OS 5 device from Palm but this is the first info of any kind on a model from Sony.
Thanks to Gavin Maxwell and Brad White for the tips. -Ed
- PIC: Rumor: More Details on the Next-Gen Palm Handheld (July 24, 2002)
- PIC: Palm OS 5 Goes Golden Master (June 10, 2002)
- PIC: Rumor: Macromedia Flash Player Coming for the Palm OS (March 08, 2002)
- PIC: Sony Forum
Article Comments(169 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah
- Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Gekko