Toshiba Announces Smaller Bluetooth SD Card
Toshiba was the developer of the SD Bluetooth card Palm is offering now. The company has announced that it is close to releasing a new version that is smaller and uses less power.
Possibly the most significant improvement is that the new card is .35 inches shorter than the old one and no longer has a slight bulge at the end. This means it will come much closer to fitting entirely inside the handheld than the current one does.
The new model will be 1.6 by .94 by .08 inches. The current one is 1.95 inches long. For comparison, an SD memory card is 1.25 inches long..
According to Toshiba, this card will require 50% less power than its current model.
This card conforms to the SDIO Card Type-B specification for Bluetooth, while it already meets Bluetooth 1.1. This means it offers data transmission at up to 768 kilobits per second at a max range of about 30 feet.
Mass production of the cards will begin in October. Toshiba will make the cards and then supply them to other companies to write software for and sell under their own names. It is not yet known if Palm will be one of these companies.
Thanks to Axel for the tip. -Ed
Article Comments(37 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife