Using MSMount with the m500 series
With the inclusion of the virtual file system (VFS) in Palm OS 4.0, Palm owners finally have the opportunity to use an almost unlimited number of applications and files from their storage cards using an application still in development called MSMount and a memory card management utility, such as McFile.
Individuals who have tried the AutoCF program developed by TRG for the TRGPro are likely familiar with the process by which AutoCF copies small parts of files being accessed on a CompactFlash storage card on an as-needed basis. This has allowed TRGPro owners to enjoy the benefits of running almost any Palm program from their CF cards, freeing up their RAM for the few programs that must reside there to function.
Recently, a Japanese programmer, nagamatu, began development of MSMount, a program designed to give AutoCF-like abilities to Sony Clié PDAs equipped with Memory Sticks. MSMount has evolved quickly, and despite its "beta" status, has already become a fairly polished memory management system.
Since Palm OS 4.0 shares a memory access interface very similar to Clié models, it is now possible for Palm m500 and m505 owners to use MSMount to access files stored on the SD/MMC cards, opening up a number of possibilities previously not feasible without the creation of special "OS4-aware" versions of Palm applications.
It remains to be seen exactly how many types of programs will work with MSMount, as well whether the SD/MSMount combination will provide adequate speed for regular use. Despite this, MSMount will likely have a significant impact on the way users access files on their Palms in coming months.
- Download MSMount and McFile.
- HotSync the three files into Palm: MSDW.prc, MSMount.prc, and McFileEng.prc. The MSMount apps will not appear on the list of applications, though they can be seen when deleting.
- Use McFile to create a directory on the SD card to store applications in OR use the one the default Palm Launcher uses, /Palm/Launcher. Write down the full path.
- Move the programs or data into this directory if they aren't there already.
- Go back into the default Launcher and open the Prefs application, pull down the menu at the upper right corner of the screen, and choose the new "MSMount" option.
- Once in, type in the full path on the SD card from Step 3. Then tap the "Enable" button and check the two boxes below.
- Go back into Launcher and all apps in the designated folder on the SD Card will now appear..
Article Comments(180 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife