Part Shortage Delays Treo Rollout
In a conference call after announcing its most recent quarterly results, Handspring's CEO Donna Dubinsky revealed that the release of the Treo has been delayed by parts shortages. The Treo is being manufactured but in smaller numbers than the company wants.
Handspring has decided to send the majority of Treo handhelds that do get produced this month to Europe. The Treo line uses the GSM wireless standard which is far more prevalent in Europe than in the U.S.
According to Ms. Dubinsky, U.S. buyers should be able to find the Treo online in limited quantities during February but it won't be available in large enough quantities for retail stores until March.
She didn't say exactly what part was in short supply.
Earlier today, mm02 Plc, the British mobile phone group, agreed to distribute and market Handspring's Treo line of smartphones in Europe.
This is Part Two of a three part series on Handspring's quarterly report and the associated conference call. Part One covers the financial results while Part Three is about Handspring's plan to phase out the Visor. -Ed
Article Comments(27 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife