NS Basic 4.0 For Palm OS Released
NS BASIC Corporation has released NS Basic/Palm 4.0. Major new features include improved shared library/API function support and closer ties to POSE and the Palm OS Simulator. There is also support an e-commerce plug in, and enhancements for OS 5 devices and larger screens.
"The enhancements in NS Basic 4.0 will make it easier for developers to build, test and sell their applications", said George Henne, President of NS BASIC Corporation. "The enhanced POSE and Simulator support means that users will be able to develop and test right out of the box, without needing to download anything else or having a Palm OS device."
The new version is available immediately. Upgrades for existing users start at $49.95. Customers who bought after October 1, 2003 will get the upgrade for free. Existing NS Basic programs are upwardly compatible with the new version. The 146 page handbook has been updated with the new features.
Here is what has been added in 4.0:
1. Shared library support greatly enhanced.
a. .INF format enhanced to contain variable type info.
b. Up to 50 args now allowed on shared lib and API calls.
c. No need to preallocate string for return values
d. Shared libraries can now be self contained in the project.
2. The Emulator now includes a ROM - no need to download/upload!
3. The Simulator can now be controlled from NS Basic.
4. GetVersion(prcName) returns the TVER version number of any prc file.
5. Pocket Purchase support added.
6. Support added for Tungsten T3.
7. Chinese Help files added.
8. French String Table added.
9. Hebrew String Table added.
10. Portuguese (Brasil) String Table added.
11. Russian String Table added.
12. Faster and more reliable installer.
13. Changes made to PalmOne device event codes.
14. GetVersion(prcName) returns tver version string for apps.
15. Tech Notes updated
16. SpecEvents sample updated
17. Improved messages in low memory situations
18. VFSLib: New function: GetDeviceUniqueString
19. SysInfo(9,10,11) added.
More about NS Basic for Palm OS
NS Basic allows developers who have used tools like Visual Basic to rapidly develop applications for Palm OS 5 based and earlier devices. NS Basic includes features such as databases, serial and IR communications, signature capture, bar code reading, wireless communications and more. NS Basic/Palm is priced at $149.95 for a single user version. An Enterprise edition is available. There are no runtime royalty charges for apps created with NS Basic/Palm.
On the desktop, NS Basic for Palm runs on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP. It also runs on Mac under Virtual PC and Linux under Win4Lin and VmWare. The executables produced will run on any Palm OS device using Palm OS 3.1 or later. The IDE is available in 10 different languages.
Article Comments(13 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- I got one -Tuckermaclain
- I got one -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Don't we have this already? -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -richf
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dmitrygr
- Palm phone on HDblog -palmato
- Palm PVG100 -hgoldner
- RE: Like Deja Vu -PacManFoo