Rumor: palmOne Working on Palm OS 6 Upgrade
updated New information received by PalmInfocenter indicates that palmOne is currently testing a Palm OS 6 upgrade for select current palmOne handhelds. Devices with Flashable ROM with enough room to spare to fit the new OS, should be able to be upgraded.
A concerned PIC reader wrote into palmOne support to inquire whether palmOne would make Palm OS 6 available to current owners of the Tungsten C. The support person replied back with a detailed response, indicating that the company is in fact working on an upgrade.
The support person even indicated that palmOne has not yet finished a series of quality tests of standards and performance. He went on to say that once the OS passes all the tests a release date for the OS 6 upgrade will be published on the support website.
The support person also went into detail about some of the new features included with Palm OS 6. The details of the message are quoted below...
Further, I would like to inform you about the features of the new Palm OS v6.0, Palm OS 6 will offer many features business want, like support for Web services and accessing Microsoft Exchange and Lotus email servers.
OS 6 will include APIs for roaming on wireless networks. This will allow Palm OS handhelds to move between types of wireless networks, like Wi-Fi to GPRS, without the user having to go through the hassle of logging off one network and logging on to another.
To help ensure that the operating system is stable, the new version includes a protected memory system, so each application has its own dynamic heap. It also includes process protection.
Update: 2:18 pm
Some of the quoted text of the support email has turned out to be taken from a Brighthand article on Palm OS 6. This could mean that the tipster may have put this together or that someone from palmOne support referenced the article when responding to the query.
Update 2: 6:20 pm
The original email has been provided to PIC and we have confirmed it as an authentic response from a palmOne support officer.
Article Comments(81 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith