AvantGo Offering Extra Channel Capacity
AvantGo is offering hardcore users of its service the ability to buy extra channel capacity. Currently, users are limited to 2 MB of channels but AvantGo will now allow people who want more to have 8 MB for an annual fee of $20, though it currently has a special introductory price of $15. It should be emphasized that the service is still free for those who are happy with just 2 MB.
When AvantGo first started up most Palm OS handhelds had much less RAM than they do now and 2 MB was probably more than most users could even store. However, since then many 16 MB handhelds have been released and many power users have been asking for more capacity.
AvantGo is a proxy-based service so every channel downloaded comes through one of its servers. As a free service for users, AvantGo has been struggling to become profitable and apparently can't afford to put additional load on its servers, as adding channel capacity for everyone would do. Charging for the extra capacity allows the few who need more room to get what they want and cover the cost without affecting those who are content with 2 MB.
"Looking ahead, we expect this to be the first in a series of value-added solutions to enhance the power and utility of this popular service," said Richard Owen, AvantGo's CEO.
The AvantGo Mobile Internet Service currently has over 6 million registered users.
Article Comments(36 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife