Palm to Sell 1M webOS Devices This Quarter?
Last week we covered Palm's market share gains as well as a new report suggesting Verizon's order for WebOS devices was possibly as high as 600,000 devices, up from the 400,000 previously reported. Now a new report from Kaufman Brothers analyst Shaw Wu (via Electronista) gives a bit more credence to that number.
By Mr. Wu's estimation, Palm will ship 1 million total WebOS phones this quarter, with Verizon's refreshed "Plus" models potentially comprising up to 550,00 to 600,000 units of that total. Wu goes on to assert that the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus are being chosen at the expense of competing Verizon smartphones running not only BlackBerry and Windows Mobile but the high-profile Android Droid and Droid Eris, though it is unclear exactly how one determines which handsets were considered but ultimately not purchased by consumers.
On a related note, a new StreetInsider piece offers quotes from a Deutsche Bank analyst centering on Palm's "modest demand" with Verizon Wireless since the WebOS launch on that carrier on January 25th. The DB analyst took a phone survey to Verizon Wireless stores in 38 states and claims that store staffers are becoming more familiar with the WebOS products, though whether or not this has translated into additional sales is not clearly stated.
The DB analyst does, however, reaffirm the "Buy" rating for the stock due to the long-term strength of WebOS. The DB report concludes with "We also found that Palm is closing on Blackberry for most preferred which came in at 17%".
Article Comments(31 comments)
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife