Palm OS Developer Suite 1.0 Alpha Available
PalmSource has announced the availability of the alpha-testing release of Palm OS Developer Suite (PODS), version 1.0. This is a new collection of tools supporting software development for Palm OS Cobalt and Palm OS Garnet.
Developers can download this release here. It is available as a single ZIP file (230MB) or as a split ZIP file (twelve 20MB parts). There are separate source code downloads for components distributed under open source licenses. This release is only intended to run on systems with Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows XP; other host operating systems, including older versions of Windows, are not supported at this time.
This release should not be installed over an existing PODS 0.1.0 or 0.1.1 setup. It is strongly recommended users uninstall that version before installing this alpha release. Projects created in older versions of PODS will need to be recreated.
Key Features of PODS 1.0:
- support for development for Palm OS Protein APIs (x86 and ARM), 68K, and PACE Native Objects
- based on the open-source Eclipse IDE, version 2.1.2 and Eclipse C/C++ Developer Tools, version 1.2.1.
- Managed Make support eliminates need to manually edit makefiles
- integrated debugging support for Palm OS Simulators, Palm OS Emulator (POSE), and most devices with serial or USB connectivity
- standalone Palm OS Resource Editor with support for XRD resource format
- integrated build environment and command-line build tools
- bundled SDKs and simulators for Palm OS Garnet (5.4 and earlier) and Palm OS Cobalt (6.0.1)
This is an alpha-testing release, covered under the Prototype Agreement of the PalmSource developer program. PalmSource is planning on an official 1.0 release later this summer. There are known bugs listed in the release notes that will be fixed, PalmSource is interested in having you to report any problems you find with PODS using their bug reporting form.
Thanks to Ben Combee for the tip.
Article Comments(22 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.