Jeff Hawkins Authors New Book, On Intelligence
Jeff Hawkins, Palm Computing founder and palmOne CTO, has published a new book. On Intelligence, discusses Hawkins theory of how the human brain works and explains his thoughts on why computers today are not intelligent and how, based on this new theory, we can begin to build intelligent machines.
From Amazon, In On Intelligence Hawkins juxtaposes his two loves--computers and brains--to examine the real future of artificial intelligence. In doing so, he unites two fields of study that have been moving uneasily toward one another for at least two decades. Most people think that computers are getting smarter, and that maybe someday, they'll be as smart as we humans are. He explains why the way we build computers today won't take us down that path. He shows, using nicely accessible examples, that our brains are memory-driven systems that use our five senses and our perception of time, space, and consciousness in a way that's totally unlike the relatively simple structures of even the most complex computer chip.
Hawkins is also the founder and executive director of the non-profit Redwood Neuroscience Institute, a scientific research institute working on theories and mathematical models of brain function.
Article Comments(30 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife